Transferring a Study visa into a Work visa

Quick question:

If someone came into Taiwan on a 60 day visitor’s visa and then extended this by getting a student visa, can they then apply for a full time working ARC with a school? (Of course, they would not longer be studying Chinese full time). Would they have to leave and get another 60 day visa before applying for an ARC (I’m thinking no)?

I’m thinking this shouldn’t be a problem but was hoping someone would know for sure!!

[quote=“Taiwaner”]Quick question:

If someone came into Taiwan on a 60 day visitor’s visa and then extended this by getting a student visa, can they then apply for a full time working ARC with a school? (Of course, they would not longer be studying Chinese full time). Would they have to leave and get another 60 day visa before applying for an ARC (I’m thinking no)?

I’m thinking this shouldn’t be a problem but was hoping someone would know for sure!![/quote]

You will need to change your visa to a resident visa and then apply for your ARC. If you have an employment offer letter from your employer in Taiwan, you should be able to change everything in Taiwan. No need to do a Visa run unless you are on a landing or exempt entry visa. For these types you need to leave Taiwan and apply for a resident or visitor visa (extendable) from a nother country. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

I thought as much. This makes me wonder why people would ever make a visa run as their 60 day visitor visa expires. Wouldn’t it always be easier to simply extend it using a student visa and THEN get an ARC through their school? (By the way, I’m not condoning the morality of getting a student visa when someone has no intention of studying, but the system does force us to cut corners at times).

I know a lot about these issues and wonder if I’m just missing something here.

[quote=“Taiwaner”]Thanks!

I thought as much. This makes me wonder why people would ever make a visa run as their 60 day visitor visa expires. Wouldn’t it always be easier to simply extend it using a student visa and THEN get an ARC through their school? (By the way, I’m not condoning the morality of getting a student visa when someone has no intention of studying, but the system does force us to cut corners at times).

I know a lot about these issues and wonder if I’m just missing something here.[/quote]

Problem#1: No such thing as a student visa my friend…you can study on a visitor or resident visa.

Problem#2: You cant get an arc until you get a resident visa. no resident visa = no arc. You have to study on good terms at a university for at minimum of 6 months before you can get a resident visa. Once you get a resident visa you can get an ARC, or rather must get an ARC, within 15 days.

Problem#3: Schools dont issue ARCs, they can only verify to the MOE that your attendance and grades are good, thus allowing you to apply through the MOE for an ARC. In doing so, you will need an employment offer from an employer and are limited to working a maximum of 16 hours while on a Resident Visa for Study.

Just wanted to clear those things up. :slight_smile:

Search: [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … isa#460031](From student RV to work RV