Transformer fuse goes off too early

I have a 500W 110-220V transformer (or the other way around)
It has a 3A fuse. That means I theoretically should be able to squeeze out 3*220=660 W before the fuse goes off, right? Now of course the 500W limit could be because of heatreasons but my question is what is it that makes the fuse go off when I connect it to a 300W machine? 300/220 is way below 3A. I don’t understand what goes on…

YingFan

what is the amp rating of the device? i’ve got a laser printer that pulls 2.5, then again I electrocuted myself at 7 :astonished:

I don’t even know what an amp rating is. I know that the fuse that came with it was 3A and being below the maximum 500W stated it should never be reached…

YingFan

Look on the technical label of the device you are trying to run off the transformer, it should say Watts X and Amp Z, this may help.

Ok thanks, I will check when I get home, but what can it realistically be? To allow for the 500W stated it cannot be less than 2.27A, right? I don’t think there are any fuses between 2.27A and 3A…

YingFan

OK I feel really stupid. I mixed two machines up. This one was 1000W the other 300W, so no wonder the fuse went :blush: Sorry for wasting your and others time pjdrib.
If it wasn’t against the rules I’d delete all to erase the evidence :stuck_out_tongue:

YingFan