Translation headaches

So, there is this bridge in Taiwan everyone calls Glass Bridge. It is a big tourist attraction and all websites refer to it as Glass Bridge. My first thought is that it has a glass floor.

Lo an behold, read this and tell me what you think:

The Glass Bridge connects two townships of Majia and Sandimen, overlooked the magnificent mountain views. The body of the bridge is designed with the glass ball, representing Paiwan and Rukai. On both sides of the bridge, the
glass decorations have in inlaid. In addition, there are also 24 story plates telling the compassionate stores. With the art of carving, visitors feel like walking through the corridor of stories.

Mmm… glass balls…a light goes on: glass beads. So it is supposed to be a glass bead bridge. Yep, there are glass bead motifs stuck on the steel plates.

My coworker says we should put glass art bridge. I think that refers to more like Liuligongfang kind of stuff.

And the argument goes on and on…

I’m no English major or expert, but in this instance, if you put “The” before the proper noun of “Glass Bridge” aren’t you describing it as a bridge made of glass instead of calling it by its name?

It’s 琉璃 not 玻璃, ha ha…

Ok, in all seriousness, please explain. We still have time to correct it.

琉璃 is that colored glass art that Taiwan is famous for…can also be translated as “glaze” in some contexts.

I know. But the glass on the bridge comes in the form of glass beads, you know, the ones aboriginals use, not the fancy stuff.

There does appear to be a narrow strip of glass underfoot on the walkway itself, so it still seems OK to call it a “glass bridge.”

1 Like

I think we used “Shanchuan Glass Suspension Bridge” (山川琉璃吊橋) when we mentioned the bridge in our mag last year. Probably as official as it gets. We described it as a bridge “adorned with a variety of indigenous-theme decorative elements, including glass beads, a famous Sandimen handicraft product”.

2 Likes

There is a section of the bridge (right down the middle) that has a glass spine (see through glass right down the middle).

There’s a steel grill on top of the glass to prevent scratches, and really isn’t all that scary.

So… this is gonna be a tough one. Glass bead decorated suspension bridge with a slice of transparent glass floor?

2 Likes

How the fuck and who the fuck marked that as a “solve”?

Welcome to the “Glass bead decorated suspension bridge with a slice of transparent glass floor”.

C’mon, a long name with a few five-dollar words makes it sound more classy.

Did I win a prize that I’m not aware of?

I think solved simply refers to several posters informing that there indeed is a portion of the bridge that’s see-through glass, and the photo backs the claims up. The thread is solved, not by me, or by anyone’s translation, it’s all of us clarifying what the bridge actually is made of. Icon is probably translating it into Spanish anyway.

There is a full on glass suspension bridge in Nantou.

I think it’s now called 琉璃光之橋. It’s not really that long, but most of the bridge is see through glass.

Icon wants a name for her bridge…its not a solve till a name is decided on. :grandpa:

Hannes provided a name.

Then Mr Hannes should get the solve and all the glory and accolades that go with it. :grandpa:

Aren’t we the translation justice warrior. :wink:

Yes, he did. That is the official name. The problem I have with it is that you cannot call it glass bridge if it is not made of glass nor has any glass in it. It has glassbeads, not glass, not crystal, not liuli -unless you call glass beads liuli. Please see my quote.

I went with Hansioux: Glass bead decorated suspension bridge with a slice of transparent glass floor. In Spanish it is like 4 lines.

Muchas gracias.

Shanchuan Some Glass Suspension Bridge

“a slice of floor”??? What kind of English is that??

With respect, what you need is to hire a real translator, so this kind of crap doesnʻt land on your desk in the first place. Research is part of the job.