Translation question: booger

I’ve no idea, the wife isn’t sure, the daughter’s got us curious.

Suggestions?

Thnx

鼻屎 (bi2 shi3) = “nose shit” = booger

But does it have the requisite level of ‘booger’? Not just the equivalent of ‘mucous’, for example.

This clearly belongs in “Learning Chinese”, not Temp.

But does it have the requisite level of ‘booger’? Not just the equivalent of ‘mucous’, for example.[/quote]
鼻屎 is a colloquial word. The scientific term for “nasal mucus” is 鼻涕 (bi2 ti4).

By the way, 鼻屎 can also mean “snot”.

You’re right. It belongs elsewhere.

“Hear that, Willow? Your booger’s in the wrong place!”

earlier that evening
~poke, poke~
“Ow! What’s that? Did you have crackers in bed?”
“No, not me. Oh, look. It’s a pointy, crusty, baby booger. Ain’t that sweet.”

By the way, Google Translate… No idea what a booger is. Perhaps someone would like to suggest a few translations: booger, nose shit; boogerhead, censorious hacking CCP asshats; ect.

Thanks all

make it up as you go… :laughing:

But does it have the requisite level of ‘booger’? Not just the equivalent of ‘mucous’, for example.[/quote]
Recall the immortal words of a former foreign minister, who, when pissed off at Singapore, described it as being (rough translation) “a country no bigger than a booger.”

In that case he used the word bishi (or rather the Hoklo equivalent).

I think Chris is right. Bi2shi3 is booger and bi2ti4 is liquid nasal mucous. For the associated verbs, you ‘wa1’ 挖 (dig out) bi2shi3 but you ‘xing3’ 擤 (blow) bi2ti4. So to blow your nose is xing3 bi2ti4 (not xing3 bi2zi).

I think Chris is right. Bi2shi3 is booger and bi2ti4 is liquid nasal mucous.[/quote]
Minor nitpick: “mucus” is a noun, “mucous” is an adjective (“mucous membrane”).

“-us” is a noun ending, “-ous” is an adjective ending.

Another commonly confused pair of words is “callus” vs. “callous”.

Sorry, just a spelling peeve of mine! :smiley:

Good to know, thanks! :slight_smile:

Learned a new word today: “rhinotillexis”. It means 挖鼻子.

Let’s not forget that in order to 挖 (wa1; dig) 鼻屎 (bi2shi3; booger), one must 摳 (kou1; retrieve with finger/fingernail) 鼻子 (bi2zi; nose).