Translation service in Kaohsiung

I need to get a degree translated from Latin to Chinese. I have an English translation so I suppose it would be a whole lot easier just to get that translated, but where do I go?

You don’t need a good or even “official” translation for Taiwan governmental purposes: just get someone you know to do it, or do it yourself and have someone “clean it up”.

Failing that, e-mail it to someone. No need to go specifically to Kaohsiung. If you want bottom-feeder prices, I recommend proz.com as a source for translators. (“If you need a translator bad, we’ve got lots of bad translators” :smiley: …also some good ones, but they won’t work for bottom-feeder prices.)

What’s the text of the degree? I’ve only ever seen one degree in Latin and that was from some Canadian university. Odd…

What’s the text of the degree? I’ve only ever seen one degree in Latin and that was from some Canadian university. Odd…[/quote]

It may be from that very same school. St Francis Xavier University.

Most of it, with a little help, I could handle. It’s the name of the school that is sinking me. It doesn’t have to be a perfect translation, but I am afraid they would at least check to see if such a school exists.

I paid 400NT for a degree translation a few years ago, but my employer brought it there so I don’t know where it is. That sounded reasonable and would gladly pay that and more rather than mess with it.

Dragonbabe is a translator (English to Chinese), and wouldn’t charge you too much. :wink:

[quote=“navillus”]

Most of it, with a little help, I could handle. It’s the name of the school that is sinking me. It doesn’t have to be a perfect translation, but I am afraid they would at least check to see if such a school exists.[/quote]

Additionally it might help if you give them your student ID number and a transcript from the school.

If it’s a legitimate university, surely it has an Internet presence, right? If it’s your diploma, you should know; if it’s a client’s, ask them which university it was.

My own undergraduate diploma is in Latin as well (Georgetown U in the US). It’s not that uncommon. At any rate, you do NOT need a word-for-word translation: you know perfectly well what a diploma says: “Be it known to all of youse guys that Person X has duly completed the requirements for Degree Y at School Z and in recognition thereof is hereby granted this spiffy Diploma. By my hand this A day of B, 20XX. (Seal of the School).”

(Yeah, you can use that if you want. No charge!) :smiley:

The one I need to get translated is a little more long-winded.

The University of St. Francis Xavier
faithfully mindful of the saying of St. Paul
“Whatsoever things are true”
while it publicly bestows the crowning award on deserving students
to whom it thereafter entrusts the mission of leaders
among their fellow citizens
after a vote of its Faculty
has decreed to honor
with this degree of Bachelor of Science with Honors
and all the rights, privileges and honors flowing from it
XXXX X. XXXX
who taking thought for his/her own life’s work
has duly completed the course of studies
prescribed by its constitution
and successfully passed the examinations
Let this parchment
stamped with the seal of the same University
and signed by its President and Dean
be a witness of this fact to all those read this
Given at Antigonish Nova Scotia
on the 8th Day of May 200?
W.S. Marshal Sean Riley
Dean President

I’ve managed to come up with a translation for St. FX through a lot of time on the net. My wife and I will be able to get a rough translation of the rest of it now. Thank you all for all your input and a special thanks to those who sent PMs with offers to help.

The point is that the government of Taiwan doesn’t care what it really says…they care that they have a piece of paper titled “Translation of Diploma” in Chinese, and someone’s signature under that (or on a separate piece of paper) – or sometimes even not a signature. In the past they haven’t even been bothered whether it was good Chinese or not – I did my own Ph.D. diploma English>Chinese and no one ever said a word about the quality (which was not exactly native). The key points are “duly awarded Degree XYZ.” Following as closely as possible is good, but when the chips are down…how many people pushing these papers read English well, let alone Latin??

I have just been told by an agent who arranges the paperwork for ARCs that a translation is no longer required. Anyone know anthing about this?