糾察 translation?

A student is asking me. This is what the high school kids do, what in America we called “patrol” as I remember it. He’s got it on their IG as “picket,” just doesn’t sound right.

Thoughts?

I wish @tando were here to translate the thread title for me :cry:

Patrol or picket line?

Totally different culture, but the closest thing would probably be “hall monitor.”

2 Likes

Snitches :rofl:

2 Likes

jiūchá: 在群眾活動中維持秩序 (to maintain order during group activities)

Except the snitches here don’t get stitches.

I thought about that, but they are also out there holding the flags to stop traffic.

Almost makes me think of “orderly” but then I think of the black dudes wearing white clothes in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

Patrol keeps coming up for me. He told me they have to stand at the door and block it as the “herd” of students try to push past. Sounds like Black Friday in America.

hall monitor/crossing guard

There’s just not going to be an exact equivalent, which is probably a good thing.

Gonna go with Student Patrol.

1 Like

Why not? Better than picket in any case.

They get riches

For sure. It’s only a picket if they are refusing to attend school until their demands are met.

So you people never had Prefects at school?

1 Like

No. They wouldn’t have lasted long if we did.

Most of ours were from the rugby teams, boy’s and girls.

We don’t have rugby teams, just gangs, and they would never snitch for the school.

We never had snitches or “a grass” as we would call them. Its only when i left school that i found out a prefects job wasn’t to take a cut of what ever contraband you was bringing into school.

Just to chime in. All we had when I went through schools in GER were principals teachers, janitors and students. Students just studied or not, no other side gigs.