Transmission... to flush or not to flush

Last time I took my car (Suzuki Solio) for servicing, they told me I was scheduled for a transmission flush based on mileage. This entailed buying two or three times as much transmission fluid, waiting, etc. Since I’ve read this is not really necessary (or even good in some cases) and the fluid looked very healthy (bright red, no burnt smell, particles, etc.), I opted to just add a couple bottles instead this time.

Anyone have an opinion on the necessity of tranny flush, and the quality of the service here in Taiwan?

Cheers! :bow:

If you do your regular scheduled transmission flush, it will prolong the life of the tranny.

If you do what I did, and drive the car to 250,000km and then ask someone to flush it, they would be correct in telling you it’s a bad idea. Usually the transmission is degraded and when you change the oil, it fails shortly thereafter.

[quote=“dan2006”]If you do your regular scheduled transmission flush, it will prolong the life of the tranny.

If you do what I did, and drive the car to 250,000km and then ask someone to flush it, they would be correct in telling you it’s a bad idea. Usually the transmission is degraded and when you change the oil, it fails shortly thereafter.[/quote]

yes thats exactly what i did with my Telstar 1.8T (which was a mazda 626). At 250,000km i replaced the tranny fluid. It was all jet black.

I then put another 150,000km on it with no problems and sold the car for 30,000nt .

So the tranny didnt break after the change.

probably shouldve changed it at 100,000km or something.

but no harm seemed to have been done either way.

Cost something like 2000nt at AUTOBACS in Taipei.

This is one reason I recommend that tranny/gearbox oil is changed every year, regardless. When extended mileage is racked up and the oil is dirty, there is a risk that the flush will kill the box. The same goes for engine oil too.
In my opinion transmissions should never get to the point that they need a flush in the first place. Regular maintenance should do away with any need for a flush. A regular oil and filter change will do away with this need completely.
Of course all gearboxes, and all moving components will fail eventually, but as I always say, oil and filters are cheap and gearboxes are expensive.
You typically have to change a hell of a lot of oil before you start to approach the cost of a gearbox replacement and so it doesn’t really make much sense to prolong oil changes.
One of the issues with oil changes has to do with the manufacturer’s guidelines, and some are way, way off in my opinion.
One of the reasons your typical service schedule doesn’t mention yearly gearbox oil changes is that it puts off potential new car purchasers. When someone purchases a new car they “weigh” the costs of ownership and things like oils add to that cost. I believe it is often for this reason that manufacturers try to limit what they recommend changing on a yearly basis. By reducing the “costs” of servicing, they make a new car seem more attractive.
Changing your oil regularly however will NOT destroy your car, it will only prolong the life of its components.
I never do transmission flushes as I don’t need to.