Travaling around Taiwan

Hey guys, I have been planning a 1-2 week trip around Taiwan, and I still have that one buring question lingering… Being that I know very little about speaking chinese & taiwanese, can I really do this trip with only my enlgish/Chinese phrazebook and my goofy body language?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Ps anyone going on a similar journey? Want to discuss travalling with a fellow westerner to cut costs? - email me at

beatricks@hotmail.com

Thanks

Easy as pie. Just be patient, dont be afraid to ask locals for help when and if you get lost, and be adventurous. Taiwan is a great place to get “lost” in. My first month in Taiwan I ventured on foot with my MRT card in one pocket and my Lonely Planet Guide to Taiwan book in the other…I went all over Taipei alone. Taipei is easy to get around on public transportation and foot, but if you desire to venture further south, I would reccommend traveling with someone that knows the island well, and even a native. Got any friends there?

The south of the island is very different from the north. Warmer, more “tropical feeling”, slower paced, and a bit cleaner IMHO. Although I enjoy the North very much, I just love the south more. I would suggest venturing to Kenting. Its a beautiful place. Check out all the usual sites in Taipei and have fun!

Thanks man, I guess I just need to hear it from some people that have done it. I do want to go south for sure, I just know the further south I get, the harder it will be to communicate, less people will understand me I am guessing.

I do have friends there, but I do not think they will have to time to travel south with me.

Another Question

Whats the best way to go south in your opinion, train or bus? maybe a combination of both would be stellar?

[quote=“beatricks”]Thanks man, I guess I just need to hear it from some people that have done it. I do want to go south for sure, I just know the further south I get, the harder it will be to communicate, less people will understand me I am guessing.

I do have friends there, but I do not think they will have to time to travel south with me.

Another Question

Whats the best way to go south in your opinion, train or bus? maybe a combination of both would be stellar?[/quote]

The bus system in general is great all over the island. But there is something that I have always like about taking trains. Often the trains stop a lot and are a bit slower. But there are fast trains which don’t stop that often.

If you can get your hands on a motorcycle that would be the ideal way to travel the island. I’ve been around the island on my motorcycle three times.

You are right about it being a bit more difficult about finding people who speak English but if you have a Mandarin phrasebook then that would be a great way to jump into learning the language. People can be very friendly and helpful especially when they see you are trying to communicate in their language.

Things not to miss include:

The East coast. Suao to Taidong. Gorgeous cliffs and ocean panoramic views. Nice beaches in Taidong and suurounding area. While in Taidong I suugest going to the Airforce base and sitting accross the street to watch the fighter jets doing take-off and landing exercises.

U-Shan National park and Ali-shan are also gorgeous. Towering mountains (The second highest mountain range in Asia after the Himalayas).

And Kenting is a nice place to chill out. There are a lot of camp grounds down there so I suugest bringing camping gear (Go to Bai Sha Wan where you can camp for free).

There really is a lot to see and I wouldn’t sweat it about the language issue. Go get lost. :smiley:

:notworthy: more good advice! Thanks both of you, its really helped me out in planning so far. :notworthy:

Dont be surprized if I try to hit you up for a little more in a bit here!

[quote=“beatricks”]:notworthy: more good advice! Thanks both of you, its really helped me out in planning so far. :notworthy:

Dont be surprized if I try to hit you up for a little more in a bit here![/quote]

Travelling within Taipei city is not a problem as the Street signs are bilingual.

They have excellent street Maps at the tourist Information counter at the Taipei Main Station and at the airport.

They also have maps for different cities (Ask for them) and Four Major maps of Northern, Central, Eastern + Islands and Southern Taiwan And tons of other information,all in English. All Free. The people at the Taipei Main Station are extremely friendly and helpful.