Travel on the East Coast with aging family members

Hi all,

I am planning a trip on the first week before CNY, overlapping a bit with the first few days of CNY, with my mother (76) and her husband Bill (80).

They are getting a bit long in the tooth, and Bill can’t walk for any long distances, and neither of them is great at stairs. I am looking for nice places to stay in Hualien and Taidong where there is a lot to do that doesn’t overly tax their physical capabilities. Places conveniently located and comfortable with good transpo and options for various low-intensity activities would be great. And not overly expensive either. They are also interested in getting some exposure to Aboriginal culture.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

War about some of the hot spring resorts like this one : agoda.com/asia/taiwan/taitun … k&tyra=1|6

[quote=“BigJohn”]Hi all,

I am planning a trip on the first week before CNY, overlapping a bit with the first few days of CNY, with my mother (76) and her husband Bill (80).

They are getting a bit long in the tooth, and Bill can’t walk for any long distances, and neither of them is great at stairs. I am looking for nice places to stay in Hualian and Taidong where there is a lot to do that doesn’t overly tax their physical capabilities. Places conveniently located and comfortable with good transpo and options for various low-intensity activities would be great. And not overly expensive either. They are also interested in getting some exposure to Aboriginal culture.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

John, do take them to Taroko Gorge. Everyone’s impressed by the scenery there. Consider doing a taxi tour, so they needn’t walk more than 50m and can head straight back to the hotel when they’ve had enough. Well worth the money.

The Silks Palace in Taroko has elevators, a great view from the pool on the roof, nightly(?) performances by Aborigine dancers, etc. It also runs a relatively inexpensive shuttle from Hualian and offers not-so-inexpensive tours. There’s usually one or another special going on, so it’s not necessarily a lot of money to stay there.

But if you want to stay there – or just about anywhere else in Taiwan – at the beginning of CNY, you should book soon.

Fly down if possible.

Keep it simple (the hotel in Taroko sounds good).

Avoid places like markets.

Prepare for the cold, wet, shit weather (stay in 3.5 and up star accomodations). Even if they come from a cold ass climate, Taiwan’s dampness is brutal.

The taxi tours are a good idea.