Travel warning: USA

I sometimes agree with ya TainanCowboy.

I heard they now have Cops in Taiwan , don’t go ! WTF

I’ll ask Juba moving this garbage in the Guam thread , nothing todo with the US :smiley:

Nice one ceevee369, when you read a thread you don’t agree with try to get rid of it. This thread has everything to do with the US, and I hope that some people, if not you, may find it useful or interesting. Hopefully it can save some unsuspecting people from tyranny.

When I hear of another country who insist on everyone who enters giving a full set of ten fingerprints like a criminal, I’ll be sure to start a thread about that too.

Incidentally, does anyone know of another?

[color=#BF0040]jaame[/color]:

“[color=#400080]My point is, why are they taking ten fingerprints off everyone who enters the country? Why are they insisting air crew who don’t even want to get off the plane and enter the country as they are set to immediately fly back, get off and do all the immigration bollocks?[/color]”

Very good point, indeed. jaame.

The answer to this and many other inter-related puzzles about US gov’t policy [before, after and during the 9/11 attacks] remains illusive.

Mostly, things like fingerprinting are an exercise in utility. Giving our DHS guards a deeper sense of purpose is one typical GS ‘make work’ type of task development. They don’t take their role in monitoring the public lightly. They’re being trained in … handling of the civilian population directly … as in ‘herding’ and crowd control.

Our boys [and girls] in Iraq and Afghanistan are working overtime in quite similar roles at times.

It’s all a part of the 9/11 response effort, which will literally take ‘forever’.

Future applications might make fingerprinting … become something of a minor detail.

In a generation all the profiling, tasering grandmothers for asking questions, making pregnant women strip in front of passengers etc etc, will be seen as normal procedure and no-one will complain.

They will be complaining about the even more absurd behavior the goons pulling the strings will be up to.
Maybe something insane like giving urine and stool samples on arrival.

Then in another generation no-one will question that as it will be seen as normal.
Then again everyone will be micro-chipped by then.

Regarding the US.
I like the place.
I haven’t been for 10 years and will ONLY return because I have to.
Airport bullied at school goons playing god isn’t my idea of fun.
And then there are the no fly lists. Hope your name isn’t on that list.

As a citizen I’ve never even seen a negative attitude from the immigration or customs staff, but that’s likely because of citizenship and race.

The best advice I can offer is to report the bullying, rough behavior, or inappropriate talking and actions. They record everything there, and they can be caught at it. Yes you may not be in the country to follow up, but it is extremely extremely unlikely, based on my knowledge of the infrastructure, that you’ll see any blowback from filing a complaint. Like one of the other posters said, that’s how things get done in the US - complain officially then follow up. If they were to be caught putting “black marks” on people’s records that could be seen by other officers in the future, they would definitely see blowback of their own.

Having said that, I’d also avoid of plastering them all as “apes” etc, that’s not fair at all and kind of offensive - I’ve seen many many of them handling foreigners with less English or with brown, Middle Eastern looks with professionalism and patience, and I’ve always seen them go through bags - even my white man bags - carefully and with professionalism. A lot of these people are working a fairly pressurized job - not police or active duty, but they’re not supposed to miss anything - with a ton of people in lines day in day out, and all of the ones I’ve seen have done a great job.

I guess if I had been treated poorly though, I’d be cursing em up and down too. I was robbed in my youth by a bunch of hoodlums at a projects, and I was cursing blacks and hispanics for weeks - ignorantly of course, but at the time it felt good.

Let me see…you’re not a citizen of a country (any country) and you’re yelling about not having civil liberties there?

Human rights I can see. But giving a set of fingerprints hardly violates any of your human rights.

I am a US citizen and I’ve been badgered upon re-entry to the US from Taiwan in the past. Questions about what I do for a living, why I have so little baggage, etc. etc.

It’s just their job. If you’re bothered by the way it’s done, go up the food chain. You can’t get anything done in the US anymore without going up two managerial levels, at least. The folks on the bottom rung of the ladder have no authority and usually little training, and certainly can’t make decisions or even pass a complaint along through channels.

As far as I know, the fingerprinting is done to people who need visas to enter the US.
People from countries that do not require a visa do not get fingerprinted.

There have been some valid points made. Just because one’s experience does not match that of another, does not invalidate either. I am aware that some - most - officials are professional. However, some are not.

There is no need for personal attacks. The points some posters try to make are easier to digest if they are not hurled aggressively at others.

They’re not. But in case you missed the news, here’s a few reasons for the heightened security.

1. “Airplane bomb plot on Christmas Day exposes air security weaknesses”
    seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n … ine28.html

You forgot one:

yeah except Bush doesn’t have the ring anymore.

Ha! So he’d like you to believe… of course he’s still got it, he still has control over his attack dog Cheney and a large portion of the nutty right, and he’s practically disappeared physically from the political landscape…

He just can’t get the damn thing to work with black folks (actually, I don’t recall any in LotR either, but then, look when it was written and where it was filmed)

All sitting presidents have the ring. Any politician that gets you to think otherwise it’s doubly to be feared.

The unprofessional and rude attitude is the biggest problem I have with immigration officials in the US, not the fact that they take there job seriously. They literally scream and shout at people in the queues, it’s amazing to see actually. There’s something a little sinister about it, saying you are not going to get the same rights as our citizens in a very real way.

Immigration in Taiwan are far more professional than the US, there is no comparison whatsoever in their treatment of non-citizens. If I was an American citizen I would seriously question why is this happening, tourists and students are being turned away in droves…I think America needs all the foreign income it can get these days…

Unfortunately the UK has copied homeland security with a new border agency which is starting to use similar tactics, forbidding warning signs and atmosphere, police style colours when clearing immigration now in UK, they also sometimes ask EU citizens now what they are doing and how long they are staying in the UK (which I thought was against EU open residence and directives…).

Many immigration controls have started to use biometrics/fingerprinting now including Japan, China etc.They also take your picture to compare your entry picture with exit. It’s a common thing.

I’m pretty sure they’re doing the photo comparisons in and out of the US too, it just isn’t talked about or publicized

[quote=“jaame”]Nice one ceevee369, when you read a thread you don’t agree with try to get rid of it. This thread has everything to do with the US, and I hope that some people, if not you, may find it useful or interesting. Hopefully it can save some unsuspecting people from
tyranny
.[/quote]

Well, If you even relate taking finger prints towards “tyranny” I guess you must be coming from outer space.
Homeland Security… ever heard about that?
Some countries shoot first and then ask questions. THAT is tiranny.

The fuck I never wrote I disagree with hat you write How old are you anyway?I simply see too much clutter lately on Forumosa and it might have been good putting your story - related to GUAM (and not the whole US) - in the Guam thread fuckup.
Should i have started creating a thread about the Taiwan locals whom won a lawsuit against a travel agency which did not informed them they have to carry their ID card when going to Guam.

The fuck, do you even know that Guam has other regulations as the US mainland soil? Seems not.
All Foreign non-US nationals need to do the fingerprint / photoshoot despite being Visa waiver eligible. For Canadians, other rules again.
Besides, was your post a rant after having a bad flight , or do you dislike the US overall?

When I arrived on Guam, they kept me 5 minutes for questionning and asked me to fill in another document, not correctly provided by the fuckedup GIT Travel agency. i could have ranted about it, but seriously… Would I have called it Travel warning USA…?
Ever went as Asian to Germany?? I felt BAD how the Asian’s on my flight were welcomed.
Again, Guam is not America… that was the only fucking point I made.

Next .

A US immigration official actually said this to me once: “Show me your papers.”

My papers.

I half expected him to say, in a German accent, “Your papers are not in order!”

I went to Hawaii and Guam last year. Definitely worth the ten fingerprints, retinal scans and anus print.

Still asking for ten prints? What do the Yakuza do? Some of them only have 9 or even 8 digits? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Things are starting to get bad. Somebody needs to check on these immigration officials.

Here’s another one.