Traveling during Covid-19

At this point in time there is no evidence that VC’s aggressive approach to testing is effective. I think it probably will be.

Your arguments seem to be all over the place. Were you not saying earlier that mass testing creates issues? Perhaps it was another poster.

Maybe you’re thinking of someone else. I’m not an advocate for testing everybody everywhere 3 times a day. I am an advocate for aggressive targeted testing.

In the absence of vaccines, large-scale, reasonably targeted testing has been used in just about every country that has managed to contain large outbreaks. SK, VN, HK, SG, NZ, AUS.

There’s a difference between testing aggressively in a targeted manner and testing everybody everywhere.

Once the cat is out of the bag there’s no getting back to 0 but aggressive, targeted testing gives you the ability to find out where the cases are and then identify the infected as quickly as possible so that you can cut off many of the transmission chains.

I must have been. I do apologize.

1 Like

Actually they asked ministro Chen how come so many younger folk had died. He replied that they were initially asymptomatic and by the time they got to the hospital, they were too far along and little could be done for them. :eek:

Not always so useful though.

Asked why the United States is maintaining the warnings even though some countries now have low infection rates subject to the restrictions, while others with high rates are exempt, CDC Director Rochelle Wallensky said on Tuesday the issue is subject to “an interagency conversation, and we are looking at the data in real time as to how we should move forward with that.”

Will be interesting to see if it’s possible to get the vaccine passport as an EU citizen when your vaccine is given outside EU. I guess it won’t be possible to prevent fraud.

"Chair of the Civil Liberties Committee and rapporteur Juan Fernando López Aguilar (S&D, ES) said: “Today Parliament has set the pace to restore free movement and a fully functional Schengen while we continue to fight this pandemic. The EU Digital COVID Certificate will function from 1st July, and will ensure safe and coordinated travel this summer. EU states are encouraged to refrain from imposing further restrictions, unless strictly necessary and proportionate, and it is reassuring that some are already issuing the certificate.“

The certificate will be issued free of charge by national authorities and be available in either digital or paper format containing a QR code. The document will certify that a person has been vaccinated against COVID-19, has a recent negative test result or has recovered from the infection. In practice, these will be three distinct certificates. A common EU framework will make certificates interoperable and verifiable across the European Union, as well as prevent fraud and forgery."

1 Like

Good news!

“The European Union (EU) has decided today, June 16, to lift the EU-wide entry ban for Taiwanese citizens during a member’s gathering in Brussels. Alongside Taiwan, the EU has also removed the ban for United States travellers.”

3 Likes
1 Like

Don’t get that. No quarantine if they were vaccinated in Taiwan but quarantine if outside Taiwan. This is weird. Wonder if Taiwan is going to do the same thing with other people. Would not be fair at all.

wait for US and EU to impose reciprocal requirements on Taiwanese. The policy will change next day

2 Likes

yeah taiwan going against any sort of science - but they have been doing this now since weeks. They are driven by fear only - and do not look at facts.

Taiwan did a great decision to block entry early on, then do the strict quarantine (which was part of a Zero Covid strategy). I do hope that there will be reciprocal requirements - meaning Taiwan has to open the border in same terms based on incidence/test positivity as it is done in Europe.

There is some leeway as they has a zero case strategy that worked a long time. But now it seems clear - without medication or vaccination causing zero covid (in that case you can open up anyhow) - taiwan will not be able to go back to zero covid - hence should open up. There is no reason to keep something out that is in already…

Maybe better control if people faked their tests. This has become very common as everyone knows test results are not back checked if the test actually took place. So just change that PDF. Well same can be done to vaccination certs.

I don’t see this information in the Deutsches Institut Taipei‘s website. I heard from other news outlet the entrance would be free but for who had been vaccinated. Anyone knows anything else?

Great, now I’ll just need about 10,000 euros somewhere to be able to afford the trip… im sure costs have gone nuts in the meantime.

Non direct flights are still pretty affordable (double the normal fare only)

Sure, but it was unaffordable for me before the pandemic started. Today it might as well be fairy tales.

That is an absolute masterpiece of Orwellian doublespeak :clap:

2 Likes

That’s not good news. That’s complete bullshit. It’s about one year too late. Explain to me why Japan has been deemed “safe” since last year yet Taiwan is only safe now that there’s an outbreak at last.

The only reason I can think of is that the EU is China’s bitch.

1 Like

anyone know what this is?

Literally.
I spell slowly: Li-ber-ti-es Com-mit-tee

It’s just brilliant, innit? There actually is a “Liberties Committee” whose job it is to decide, apparently above all national governments, what liberties the serfs will be allowed to have. How the hell did that happen? It’s the first I’ve even heard of it. George Orwell would have been tickled pink.