šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Omg that is unbelievable that both the spit test at the airport and the self antigen test on day 10 didnā€™t catch it. Iā€™m on day 4 nowā€¦

My daughter was fully vaccinated with Moderna and 6 months later was extremely sick from Covid. Her live-in also vaccinated didnā€™t get it.

Booking my tickets back to Taiwan today - planning to fly on November 29th from London. Fingers crossed the quarantine rules will relax but if notā€¦ thenā€¦ oh, well! Planning to buy some light-weight work-out equipment and pile up a bunch of work for the 2-week ā€œholidayā€! Fingers crossed for a quarantine room with a balcony. A couple of friends of mine have returned recently and been extremely lucky with their rooms, actually.

2 Likes

Out of interest, which airline are you using? Is it a direct flight?
Iā€™m looking to go in the other direction around the same time, as Iā€™ve not been back to see family in the UK for almost 2 years now. But I really would prefer to do a direct flight and not transit anywhere, as I think it would be safer.

China Airlines did have a direct flight to London once a week, but it seems to have disappeared from their schedule now :frowning_face:

I am flying with British Airways and Cathay Pacific, with a layover in Hong Kong. I did the trip in the other direction back in May and felt very safe. I obviously wasnā€™t vaccinated at the time.

Now in Europe I have been travelling almost on weekly basis, so it has become a norm for meā€¦ Vaccinated and getting tested every week as I travel between UK and EUā€¦ havenā€™t managed to catch it so farā€¦ knock wood.

2 Likes

Australia is starting to re-open the borders and allow its citizens to depart from November. More detailed information to come, but basically -

• Departure ban for Citizens removed.
  • 7 days home Quarantine for Vaccinated returnees (maybe zero for those arriving from some countries - ie - NZ).
  • Preflight testing looks like changing from PCR to RAT.
  • Vaccination Passports / Certificates.
  • Looks like Sinovac and Covishield (and others) may also be recognised.
  • Under 12 and those having medical certification that they should not be vaccinated will be allowed in on same basis as if they were fully Vaccinated.

Target date is dictated by 80% adults Fully Vaccinated.

3 Likes

Apparently trying to get international students from China back?

Guy

1 Like

Yes, China and India (Covishield) were mentioned. Both countries are also high on the list of Dual Citizens too - there have been Repatriation flights from India to Darwin almost weekly for months now.

Taiwan will never follow this idea. The borders will be closed forever and one day longer.

1 Like

New Zealand has approved of Medigen for noncitizens to enter the country (with proof of two doses and at least 14 days having passed following the second dose):

Guy

4 Likes

Of interest to people planning to travel in Canada: proof of vaccination will be needed if you wish to board an airplane, take a train, orā€”less likely for forumosansā€”get on a cruise ship.

Guy

1 Like

Putting all my money on the hope that this will start unclenching other countriesā€™ anuses (Japan, Taiwanā€¦ got my eyes on you guys).

1 Like

So this now will include the US, Canada, and Australia (perhaps others) that will permit double vaxed folks (specific approved vaccines only) to enter without quarantine.

Iā€™m sure authorities in other countries will watch to see what happens. But since contact tracing is effectively out the window in at least two of those countries, I wonder how one could determine the impact / results of this gambit?

Guy

2 Likes

Taiwan should follow the example from these countries and make the same decision.

Not too fast please, its only those that enter the State of NSW from Overseas. Land in Brisbane or Perth for example and the PPE clad Gendarmes will lead you away to the Quarantine Cells for a 14 day diet of Quarantine food.

3 Likes

Itā€™s nuts that immigration regulations are not a federal matter.

How about Melbourne then? :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Oh, Immigration is a Federal Matter and the same rules apply in all points of entry, but after you clear Immigration and Customs itā€™s the State that deals with Health related matters. Yes its an unhealthy mess!!

Its a bit like coming out of Taoyuan Airport and getting to that Zig Zag part before you enter the General population, only to be stopped by a PPE wearing Gendarme.

1 Like

So will I be accosted if I land in Melbourne?

Guy

Most definately, though I suspect the Sate of Victoria will be the next to fall into line. Queensland (Brisbane) and West Australia (Perth), still dream of Zero cases and will be the last.

1 Like

Travelerā€™s, irrespective of Nationality, who arrive in Sydney or Melbourne from the South Island of New Zealand, having spent at least the past 14 days there, will be allowed to enter without the need for Quarantine from Wednesday (20 October). That doesnā€™t mean that Tourists from the USA etc can go in that way as their Passport will stop them from being allowed to board the aircraft unless they have a Resident Visa.

2 Likes