😷 COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

It might be a good thing. If millions of people find themselves branded second-class citizens just because they failed to anticipate which way the political currents are flowing, there might be enough collective anger for people to say “fck this for a game of soldiers”. People might be less inclined to comply if TPTB are not holding up their end of the bargain.

Or people might simply fall over themselves to comply in even more craven ways. :popcorn:

1 Like

Didn’t the first lot of A-Z doses that Taiwan received come from Korea?

“South Korea’s SK Bioscience” is one of the ones that the EU doesn’t recognise.

AND - “The EMA has only approved AstraZeneca vaccine manufacturing sites in the EU, the United States, the United Kingdom, and China” - so that would also affect those manufactured in Japan.

2 Likes

Wait a minute, they do not approve SK or Japan but China is OK?? :ponder:

1 Like

That’s what it says. But does somebody manufacture AZ in China ?
And if they do they must have applied for EMA approval.

Which country has more economic clout. ?

Yes…but also more violations to health codes, WTO agreements, contracts…etc ad nauseam.

In health issues, reliability means savings. Errors cost a lotta money…and China is not the one that will fork it out.

No one seems to care about that. Those violations didn’t suddenly start in 2020. They’ve been there for last 2 decades at least. But the world has preferred to look the other way.

1 Like

They should think about winding this program down.

Europe and North America have largely moved on from Covid, so Taiwan is no longer this safe island of refuge.

So what is the alternative, Deportation?

Does anyone know how many there are?

Huh? You tell these people that there will be no more extensions and give them 30-60 days to make arrangements to go back to their home countries.

There are more than enough flights these days.

1 Like

I think that beyond US and some parts of Europe, the situation is not that stable. And we still have to see if the new variants make a dent in current stability.

I would assume that most of the expats in TW who are still there on these tourist visas or visa exempt statuses are from the US, Europe, Canada.

At some point people are going to have to go home. It’s not TW’s responsibility to shelter these people indefinitely, and given that TW’s situation has changed, continuing to be more accommodating than most countries shouldn’t be a priority.

Ctmav is the Korean made Astra zeneca. That’s what I got in my first shot in Taiwan. Yellow booklet has a batch sticker az 1 batch ctmav 509-cdc
When I got my second shot in Cyprus, this time abx4044 - which is ab - hence EU produced, they asked me what the first shot was, I told them AZ = Astra zeneca and my EU green pass shows valid, it doesn’t list the first vaccination however, but says that the second vaccination was the second.

If you aren’t vaccinated inside the EU, it will be hard to get green pass no matter what you were vaccinated with anyhow. Many countries issue green pass from the national health insurance website, so tourists cannot get it. In Cyprus e.g. you have to download it from the health insurance website membership area. No way for a tourist to get the EU digital covid certificate here. Likely you can get a printed out version at the place of vaccination, If you were vaccinated Here without health insurance. Not sure how well that works out. Likely very problematic too.

In Germany they didn’t register the first vaccination, so you go to pharmacy show them your vaccination passport, and they issue it. As they get 15 euros for this from the state, likely only available to residents.

At the borders I am sure the officers won’t bother to check what batch you have. Show them anything that looks like a vaccination passport, at best they check it hast two stamps/dates/stickers plus 22 days and you’re fine.

The EU certificate is anyhow only an alternative to the vaccination passport.

1 Like

I think they did announce the intention of winding it down in the same press release as the automatic extensions for ARCs.

Focus Taiwan:
"…Meanwhile, foreign nationals who entered Taiwan visa-free, on a visitor or landing visa, on or before March 21 last year and have been unable to return home because of COVID-19, will also receive 30-day extensions, the NIA said.

However, as soon as the COVID-19 level is lowered, such visitors will have 10 days to visit the nearest immigration office to complete the paperwork for an extension."

Taiwan News:
"With the outbreak continuing to ravage countries worldwide, the NIA said it would issue its 11th 30-day visa extension for foreigners who arrived on or before March 21 on a visitor visa, a landing visa, or through a visa-waiver program, and have not overstayed their legal stay period. It said the extension will take effect immediately and that no application is required.

Given the severity of the local COVID-19 outbreak in Taiwan, the NIA pointed out that automatic 30-day visa extensions will continue to be issued until 30 days after the country’s pandemic alert has been lowered to Level 2."

I’m quite curious myself. I always thought the official NIA headcount of foreigners came in low. I wish the Taiwan government had a proper FOIA mechanism, because there’s definitely a count somewhere.

The below?

https://statis.moi.gov.tw/micst/stmain.jsp?sys=220&ym=10901&ymt=11005&kind=21&type=1&funid=c0910401&cycle=1&outmode=0&compmode=0&outkind=1&fldspc=0,5,&cod00=1&rdm=eob65lyo

1 Like

Tiny, tiny bit of hope here that Taiwan’s regulations for vaccinated entering the country may loosen a little: if Taiwan’s Olympians are vaccinated, they’ll be stuck in a quarantine hotel upon return for “just” seven days (rather than fourteen), and after that will have a further seven days of self-health management.

So at least there’s precedent out there for the vaccinated facing slightly different regulations. Mind you, these folks are being tested a lot.

Taiwan’s team to the Olympics has over 90% vaccination, with two doses of vaccines. Athletes are required to have two negative PCR tests in the 96 hours before departure, twice before departing and once after entering Japan. Athletes will be tested every day once in Japan, while workers traveling to Japan with them will need to be tested every four days. Once athletes return to Taiwan, if vaccinated, they will require fourteen days of self-health management, seven of which must be spent in a quarantine hotel. If they are not vaccinated, they will require regular measures.

Source: 14 Domestic Cases Announced, Close to Two Million Vaccine Doses Arrive, Including Donation from Japan | New Bloom Magazine

1 Like

Bear in mind that these Athletes in Japan will be living in a “Bubble” and will mix with few if any outside the Bubble. So their 7 days of Quarantine doesnt match what other vaccinated people can expect given the current situation in Japan.

EDIT - and my partner just said that Tokyo has reported 1300 new cases today. Then again with restaurants open as normal, what else can be expected. Japan seems to lack the ability to ‘ban’ things, they just ‘ask’ and it seems that request gets ignored by many.

2 Likes

Japan has a constitution that seems to give them fairly robust civil rights . Something to be applauded.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for flagging.