šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

A hopeful sign, but also ironic given that if you acknowledge the possibility that vaxxed people can still catch the virus, these Olympic athletes are going to be in the highest risk category of vaxxed people since theyā€™re going to have a lot of contact with a lot of other people from all over the world in a short period of time.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve now been in Taiwan long enough for this paradox to make perfect sense.

I think I am ready for dual citizenship!

Guy

2 Likes

IIRC you are a plum blossom card holder. Is there some reason you havenā€™t already applied?

Sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Guy

I want a pm too

So Iā€™ve just had an email from AirAsia saying that my credit account (which is where they put money thatā€™s supposed to be refunded, but isnā€™t) is valid for three years.

Do they know something we donā€™t?

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting because I have an AirAsia trip from April 2020, cancelled because of Covid, the funds of which are supposedly held in credit for me. In my mind I had already written it off as a loss, but maybe thereā€™s hope. I didnā€™t get any email, though.

1 Like

Check the laws of all the places the Air Asia flight was supposed to land. If it was going to land in the US, EU, or Canada, they MUST give you the entire value of your cancelled ticket, under laws in those places. Then hit the ā€œdispute transactionā€ button on the original credit card charge and provide all the information on why you wonā€™t pay it ā€” flight cancelled info, link to law stating you get a refund. If itā€™s through the US, go a step further and fill out a complaint form with the DoT (dept of transportation). If you do that, the airline must get back to you in 30 days

Isnā€™t Air Asia a regional low cost carrier? If they fly long haul thatā€™s news to me!

Guy

They used to fly from KUL to Paris, but gave that away a few years back. I think their longest routes prior to Covid were to Australia - about 8 hrs from KUL to SYD.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a problem as such - as long as my money doesnā€™t disappear Iā€™m good with that. And IIRC they do offer you some sort of convoluted method of requesting a refund. I was just surprised by the long timespan, which suggests to me theyā€™ve had a heads-up from TPTB.

I tried the credit-card chargeback method with another airline that held onto my money (EVA). Still waiting.

You should be able to log in with your Air Asia membership ID and see your credit there. If you booked via a travel agent, ask them what your ID is (theyā€™ll have made one up on your behalf). If you donā€™t have a membership ID, you should be able to create one and then attach your (previously booked) flight to it.

1 Like

Can anybody advise me on how to book a quarantine hotel in Taiwan from the US?

Would I have to pay in advance through the quarantine hotels personal website or can I just reserve a room before returning to taiwan and pay at the hotel?

Check here for list of govt. approved quarantine hotels: Taipei City Government-All-Quarantine Hotels FAQ

I reserved via hotel website and paid in full upon arrival at the hotel.

Does anyone know what would happen if you entered like months ago (more than 90 days) and never made the transition to resident visa? Would you be deported? Or is there any way to stay?

My understanding is that normally you can do a visa run to Hong Kong or whatever, but now that prospect seems impossible.

During the level 3 period, the clock could be suspended. within 15 days or 30 days after the end of level 3 might be OK. You may ask to NIA.

1 Like

On what basis was the entry - 90 days Visa Free? - back prior to March 2020. All of those people have been getting auto extensions since and presumably one day, when travel becomes possible to most countries, those auto extensions will cease and the people concerned will have to either get the appropriate Visa, or leave.

Is the link working still for everyone?

Seems like all the urls with gov.taipei are timing out?

That one I linked is working as of 6.27am today.