šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Blockquote

No, they didnā€™t say what would happen specifically. Hope all goes well

Sorry, sarcasm was not obviousā€¦ What I mean is that England is crap at doing things efficiently and this is the exception to the rule. Maybe Iā€™ll stop with sarcasm hereā€¦

Ohh nooo, my flights and quarantine are booked and now Iā€™m terrified of a positive PCR test on Day 12 of my quarantine :sob:.
I had Covid last month (tested positive, had a nasty flu for a week). I took another PCR test after recovering and it was negative.
Iā€™ll have to get two consecutive PCR tests right before flying and Iā€™m confident theyā€™ll be negative too.
I donā€™t think the labs here cycle above 30, because obviously itā€™s picking up an irrelevant old dead virus and not contagious.
Those of you who know how rigid Taiwanā€™s policies are: If my dead virus is considered to be a positive due to the high CT Taiwan uses- if I have all my Covid history printed off to show, is it possible I wonā€™t be whisked away to hospital for another 2 weeks? :grimacing:

Heads up forumosans!

A proposed change scheduled to take effect in early November 2021: noncitizens wanting to enter the US will reportedly need to be vaccinated.

Guy

4 Likes

Hope Taiwan will follow the example from the US.

3 Likes

The interactive table contained within this article is very helpful. Fun fact: Only New Zealand, Taiwan and Uruguay are currently complete red zones.

4 Likes

Are they still spraying everything down in Taiwan? Do they not know this isnā€™t an effective way to fight Covid? Most of the world figured this out in May 2020.

1 Like

Youā€™re right but itā€™s also funny that most the world has covid and Taiwan doesnā€™t.

4 Likes

Some good news for Kiwis wishing to travel back home. This applies only to NZ citizens and residents not to tourists or other visitors.

Key point: get vaccinated first!

Guy

1 Like

Itā€™s happening in Adelaide, South Australia too - mind you, like NZ, it says ā€˜small numbersā€™ so random selection it seems, not ALL Vaccinated Kiwiā€™s I would be guessing - probably must reside in Auckland etc as well as other random things.

Yes the development in NZ is for now small-scale: 150 people only. I wonder how they would be selected.

Guy

By how compliant one is :wink:

1 Like

I so hope that Taiwan will do the same soon (I know, I knowā€¦). Been waiting to come back for months now, but cannot bear the thought of a 2-week quarantine at a hotel.

2 Likes

Most of the world has vaccinations, which, after taking, make Covid a harmless cold. Taiwan could have gotten them as well but (((China)))

Omg that is unbelievable that both the spit test at the airport and the self antigen test on day 10 didnā€™t catch it. Iā€™m on day 4 nowā€¦

My daughter was fully vaccinated with Moderna and 6 months later was extremely sick from Covid. Her live-in also vaccinated didnā€™t get it.

Booking my tickets back to Taiwan today - planning to fly on November 29th from London. Fingers crossed the quarantine rules will relax but if notā€¦ thenā€¦ oh, well! Planning to buy some light-weight work-out equipment and pile up a bunch of work for the 2-week ā€œholidayā€! Fingers crossed for a quarantine room with a balcony. A couple of friends of mine have returned recently and been extremely lucky with their rooms, actually.

2 Likes

Out of interest, which airline are you using? Is it a direct flight?
Iā€™m looking to go in the other direction around the same time, as Iā€™ve not been back to see family in the UK for almost 2 years now. But I really would prefer to do a direct flight and not transit anywhere, as I think it would be safer.

China Airlines did have a direct flight to London once a week, but it seems to have disappeared from their schedule now :frowning_face:

I am flying with British Airways and Cathay Pacific, with a layover in Hong Kong. I did the trip in the other direction back in May and felt very safe. I obviously wasnā€™t vaccinated at the time.

Now in Europe I have been travelling almost on weekly basis, so it has become a norm for meā€¦ Vaccinated and getting tested every week as I travel between UK and EUā€¦ havenā€™t managed to catch it so farā€¦ knock wood.

2 Likes

Australia is starting to re-open the borders and allow its citizens to depart from November. More detailed information to come, but basically -

• Departure ban for Citizens removed.
  • 7 days home Quarantine for Vaccinated returnees (maybe zero for those arriving from some countries - ie - NZ).
  • Preflight testing looks like changing from PCR to RAT.
  • Vaccination Passports / Certificates.
  • Looks like Sinovac and Covishield (and others) may also be recognised.
  • Under 12 and those having medical certification that they should not be vaccinated will be allowed in on same basis as if they were fully Vaccinated.

Target date is dictated by 80% adults Fully Vaccinated.

3 Likes