šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

This is why a lot of people with globally-oriented jobs are in exile away from Taiwan for the time being. If you donā€™t have a specific need to be there right now, its hard to justify, especially as business travel is coming back.

1 Like

I just called the US Customs and Border Protection. Calling on behalf of Canadians.

If youā€™re not officially vaccinated, you can still get in up until 7 November. Then the doors close.

2 Likes

This is new. According to this report, the five airports exempted from requiring PCR tests are Songshan Aiport, Taichung International Airport, Chiayi Airport, Tainan Airport, and Kaohsiung International Airport. Wonder why Taitung is not included.

Guy

1 Like

Philippines.

No need to quarantine if coming from Taiwan butā€¦

Wonder if they go by passport or recent travel.

1 Like

Iā€™m a little confused. If the country one is traveling to does not require a PCR test to enter (the U.K.), do we still need to get a PCR test just to enter Taoyuan airport or get on our KLM flight?

As the article states, this is concerning DOMESTIC TRAVEL by aircraft to outlying islands (Penghu, Kinmen, Matsu; by excluding Taitung Airport, the have effectively excluded Orchid Island and Green Island). And as KLM does not fly to those outlying islands, this policy change does not concern your flight.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Is there any news on the entry restrictions to be reduced? For example: for vaccinated people no quarantine is needed or home quarantine or 1 week quarantine?

1 Like

No.

1 Like

I meanā€¦ I could probably try to get a KLM flight to Kinmen. Might cost $6000 US.

This is a joke.

1 Like

Very no.

Vaccinated doesnā€™t mean you wonā€™t spread the virus. Man, I donā€™t know what itā€™s gonna take for Taiwan to change their quarantine rules.

3 Likes

A campaign from the government that I hope started a couple of months ago, warning people that the borders will open because we canā€™t stay closed off forever, and when they open COVID is going to spread and some people are going to die, but weā€™ll keep those numbers to a minimum by getting (close to) everyone vaccinated first. People need to know that we are going to have to live with this virus eventually. Iā€™m not sure how much knowledge of that has sunk in.

But I donā€™t know if thatā€™s starting to happen yet. I occasionally get hints from translations and news about press conferences that itā€™s going on - but I wish there were more.

4 Likes

Didnā€™t Taiwan work hard to keep rabies out for like 52 years and succeeded? Might be a while before they relax :joy:

4 Likes

A two-week quarantine, forever, for anyone who enters the country seems like a very bad idea that will damage the country a lot, and eventually piss off the big - and rich - chunk of the population that quite likes those short trips overseas.

A more minor issue is that lots of posters here would quite possibly bail on the country. Iā€™d be thinking seriously about it.

Taiwan has got to come out of this, and I hope theyā€™re laying the groundwork for it now. I have seen no indication they plan to continue this way forever (unlike what China seems to be doing - see this weekā€™s Economist) - but I wish Iā€™d seen more about how weā€™re going to emerge.

3 Likes

The World could do without hordes of Chinese Tourists.

3 Likes

PCR test, where in Taipei can you get it cheapest?

As someone whoā€™s flying to the UK for Xmas, Iā€™m worried about two things:

1. flights to and from the UK will be banned and weā€™ll be stuck there. (Morocco has just banned UK flights, I think). If we have to transfer via Amsterdam would this make it possible to travel back even if there were a ban as weā€™d be getting on a flight originating in Amsterdam?

2. second worry is that as all the quarantine hotels seem to be full for January, then people will start booking govt facilities at 2k a night, so where are the returnees from high risk countries going to be put?! Are there enough beds/rooms for everyone??

1 Like

Is it really necessary to go to the UK for Xmas?

4 Likes

If youā€™re worried about sudden changes in policy, youā€™ll have to ask whether you really need to be flying at that time.

The general trend is toward liberalization of movement, but since this is 2021, who really knows what will happen in terms of border restrictions.

EDIT: Plus what @yinggeaussie said.

Guy

2 Likes

Where are you guys seeing hotels full for January? Iā€™m checking the Taipei city government quarantine hotels website and the taiwanstay website and still plenty of room for paid quarantine hotels.

1 Like