Traveling from Taiwan to USA

I’m flying out to Seattle on Wednesday, so of course it only hit me late Thursday evening of last week that I would need a SIM card in the US. (I thought I had read somewhere here on f.com that I could buy a Tmobile SIM at TPE. Thank God I double checked and learned that I was fucked if that was the plan.) :upside_down_face:

Anyway, did some furious online searching and found Klook.com, which offered home delivery no sooner than today, Monday 9-Sept, which is only two days before my flight. I was worried sick about this over the weekend as services like Lyft and Uber and maps and perhaps survival itself are pretty much impossible without a functioning smartphone these days. US airports don’t offer these, so my only choice would be to buy here in Taiwan or physically visit a Tmobile shop which ime is only a slightly better experience than visiting a DMV office.

Anyway, as promised the SIM arrived today. Unlimited data, unlimited calls in the US for NT$1,235 (15 days). This will give me some time to visit the retail hellhole of a Tmobile shop and learn whether I’ll need a new SIM once I’m back in the US, or if the one from Klook will do the job.

I’ll try to check back in and let youse know how it works out. While it’s not inexpensive, I have to say this has worked out far more smoothly than I had thought it would. I’m impressed so far with Klook.

1 Like