🌞 🌏 | Getaway Destinations from Taiwan

I plan on travelling in June and don’t have enough money to travel too far from Taiwan. I was thinking of going to the Philippines or Vietnam but I was told there’s a heat wave.

Round trip to Ulaanbaatar is over 20,000 NTD, I don’t have time to wait in Hong Kong to get a China visa. Are there any options besides Japan and South Korea?

Sapporo

Edit: via budget airline

5 Likes

If you thought Taiwan is hot you never been to Vietnam…

There is no winter in Vietnam, it’s hot and humid year round.

Your option is go north.

3 Likes

I’m with @tango42 —Hokkaido would be very comfortable.

OR: just fly into Narita with a rail pass of your choice and head to points north. Even the Greater Nikko area is a nice comfortable place at that time of year, at a higher elevation and much cooler than Tokyo.

Guy

4 Likes

Yup, year round. No way it gets as cool as 18-19 degrees in Hanoi in winter. Not a chance. You’re 100% correct. Hot and humid year round.

Oh wait. (Sigh.)

December is one of the coldest months in Hanoi. The temperature in this time of the year dramatically drops to 18-19°C with dry climate.

5 Likes

Japan it is then. Probably Hokkaido or Kyoto (I’ve been to Tokyo).

2 Likes

Yea I would expect that Vietnam is going to be uncomfortable year round, and 18C at the lowest doesn’t sound very comfortable to me at all.

OP said he hates hot weather and by all indications, Vietnam is the last place you want to go.

You would go to South Africa and it would be cooler because it would probably be winter there right now, but that’s a bit far from here.

So South Australia, Japan, Korea, or China, take your pick.

If you have the money for an Airbnb or hotel with good AC and some taxis then Thailand or Vietnam could be fun. Just hang at the department stores or at the beach / pool.

Well that’s what I do in Taiwan, go to malls, coffee shops, etc. but one reason why I like colder places is because you can be outdoor and not die.

Shenyang China, Wales, and Washington’s Olympic Penninsula have some of the best weather I’ve ever experienced. Shenyang gets a bit too cold in the winter though.

1 Like

The OP may have to settle for Japan or Korea though, as he seems to need to get a visa for China.

If I got a little bit of money I might try going to China for a little bit to avoid the summer in Taiwan…

Wales should provide the weather you want.

2 Likes

Yeah, it looks roasting, the entire country, all year round. Bring your sunscreen and breathable clothing.

(Photo from here)

1 Like

If someone is on a budget though, wouldn’t Japan be quite expensive for hotels and food etc.? I’ve only been there once (to Okinawa), but it definitely wasn’t cheap.

If I was trying to not spend too much money, I’d probably try to suck it up a bit on the no-hot-weather aspect and consider somewhere higher up in northern Vietnam or northern Thailand (it can get quite cold in the mountains, but I suppose it depends on what kind of holiday someone wants). Sapa in June doesn’t look too hot.

Kyoto is an oven in summer. During Gion Matsuri the temperature sometimes reaches 42C :melting_face: (be careful, I sometimes had intense headaches and nausea because of the heat)

1 Like

Do you have a passport that is eligible for visa-free transit?

I don’t think so.

Beyond my budget sadly.

1 Like

Go to India. You can get round trips for less than $20,000. From Delhi or Kolkata hop on a train or bus and head up North where it’s cool and you’ll be in for a real adventure.

2 Likes

Except for rail tickets / subway rides and also fruit, I find Japan (at least points in Honshu) to be actually cheaper than Taiwan for equivalent value—not for the ultra cheap street food (that’s not a thing in Japan) but for pretty much everything else. And the rail ticket / subway ride part can be addressed by purchasing a rail pass, which admitted has increased in price lately, though little else has, especially with the yen being so cheap now.

Guy

5 Likes