Travelling with child, without my wife

Of course, people traffickers use stereotypes to their advantage.

Bottom line is you’re more likely to get questioned if you’re a male with a child.

FWIW, my dad never had an issue traveling alone with me. Probably because we had the same surnames on our passports. And back in the day, we had the same hair color.

it doesn’t have to be ppl trafficking, it can also be an ugly divorce with one spouse abducting the kids.

2 Likes

Yes, of course. I didn’t think of all possibilities. Marital issues are most likely.

While visiting with my two-year-old son I was stopped by Immigration in Canada who demanded to see a letter from my wife proving she gave permission for me to take the kid and that I wasn’t trying to abduct him. I’d take at least that as well.

3 Likes

Nothing about the parents in German nor Taiwanese passport.

I have a copy of household registration in English, notarized + legalized with bells and whistles (was needed to get the German passport in the first place). That should do it to prove I am the father.
I will also bring a letter from my wife that she consents to our travels.

2 Likes

I asked the National Immigration Agency about this recently. Their response was not to worry, I don’t need any extra documentation (even though I’ll have it on me). I can show them the kids’ foreign passports if I want. From what I could find online, the only reason they’d stop you is if there’s a custody dispute.

2 Likes

I’ve heard this is quite common entering Canada. I now live as an immigrant in Canada (for the second time in my life) and of all the border agents I’ve encountered in the world I feel that it’s the Canadian ones who give me the most trouble, who are the least friendly and who ask the stupidest questions. A couple of weeks ago I returned from the States by land and was asked why I’d visited a restaurant on the US side (“Uh… because I was hungry…?”)

You people, the least you could do is shell out a few bucks for our restaurants! :rant:

[end sarcasm]