Treaty of Shiminoski ( Maquan) and it's effect. Opinion?

In 1895, China and Japan had a meeting wherein China[b][b][u] “irrevocably” gave up ALL claim to Taiwan.
Then, the U.S. dropped some horror and Japan gave up. At that moment, Japan owned Taiwan and as a result of the horrors, the U.S. took control of Japan and it’s holdings, including Taiwan. I recognize that it is a U.S. policy to help rebuild the conquered country. They did with Japan. However the surrender document is silent regarding Taiwan. We kept Guam and a few other islands as airbases but Taiwan was “overlooked”. If it has not been returned to Japan, it is either Japanese or American.
Is Taiwan State no. 51, or did the U.S., without congressional approval grant Taiwan freedom. Ya, I know of the 1979 act to protect Taiwan but that doesn’t answer the question.
From a historical perspective, it is my humble opinion that all Taiwanese should have a Territorial Passports with all the rights and privileges granted to to other territories (I know some voting restrictions.) I am not inviting an argument regarding rights and privileges, but simply a flow of history)
Any ideas? I have spoken about this issue with very high level government officials and I am always returned to the unconditional surrender of Japan and silence on the result of Taiwan’s independence or a connection as the 51st state.

I think Taiwan should’ve been given back to Japan as was Okinawa.

However, Uncle Sam complicated himself when he helped transport Chiang Kai Sheks 2 million plus soldiers to Taiwan.

And the US was an ally of the ROC then. Hence Taiwan was essentially, for all intents and purposes “given” to the ROC.

BUt the USA wants to keep its options open, therefore it is of the Opinion that the status of Taiwan remains “undecided”.

Until the P.R.C. come over and take this island by force, it is still the R.O.C.
There really is no option other than that.
Taiwan, as an independent country?
No where near, yet.
One day, InshAllah!

[quote=“2Enigma”]From a historical perspective, it is my humble opinion that all Taiwanese should have a Territorial Passports with all the rights and privileges granted to to other territories (I know some voting restrictions.) I am not inviting an argument regarding rights and privileges, but simply a flow of history)
Any ideas? I have spoken about this issue with very high level government officials and I am always returned to the unconditional surrender of Japan and silence on the result of Taiwan’s independence or a connection as the 51st state.[/quote]

Wasn’t Taiwan was placed under control of the ROC after WW2?

When a federation takes over a territory, it doesn’t become a state. Statehood has to be conferred. Guam and American Samoa are not states, and if the USA had claim over Taiwan, it wouldn’t make it the 51st state.

This argument gets thrown around a lot, including by those fanatical madmen at the “Taiwan (Civil) Government.”

If complicated legal maneuvering like this were more important than de facto sovereignty, the USA would be a much smaller country. The Louisiana Purchase was technically not legal on Napoleon’s side because he didn’t get authorization from his country’s parliament (and some would claim the territory rightfully belongs to Spain, meaning he didn’t have the authority to sell it at all!). And yet nobody denies that large tract of territory that now makes up parts or all of 13 states is independent from the US. If Taiwan is not part of the ROC, then by the same kind of legal loopholes, about 1/4 of what we call the continental USA is actually not under the jurisdiction of the federal government.

But that’s all moot, really, because it’s a falsehood to say that Taiwan was never given over to the ROC. While it’s true that neither the ROC nor the PRC were represented at the Treaty of San Francisco, Japan’s instrument of surrender explicitly states that it abides by the Potsdam Declaration, which itself explicitly demands: “The terms of the Cairo Declaration shall be carried out.” The Cairo Declaration, in turn, explicitly states “all the territories Japan has stolen from the Chinese, such as Manchuria, Formosa, and The Pescadores, shall be restored to the Republic of China.” So by the transitive property, Japan agreed to hand Manchuria, Taiwan, and Penghu over to the ROC government.

End of story. Let’s keep those Blue Skies, White Suns, and Red Earths flying, guys.

(Side note: I passed by the Taiwan (Civil) Government building just today. They have an American flag flying just to prove how batty they are.)

Well they also have a Japanese flag and a few other I don’t know whats. And strangely No R.O.C. flag ?

And if Taiwan was given back to the Japanese. It wouldn’t be anything like what it is today. It would be an outlying province. Similar to a larger Okinawa.

Ditto if American, it would be a territory like Guam.

But it would likely be similar in concept to Hawaii (except not a state like Hawaii).

Which actually wouldn’t be too bad.