Tressels

Inspired by this thread, I have some questions to ask. Everyday I see many Taike-types riding around on their smoky old bikes and scooters with what appears to be a single, large tressel on the back of the bike. Is it really a tressel? Is it really just one? What do they do with a single tressel? Or do they all get together and unite their tressels in some kind of show of binlang solidarity?

Any light shed on this would be useful in keeping me entertained.

Cheers

kamiwaza

OK… know I’m going to regret asking this…but what the hell is a…“tressel”?

…A movable frame or support for anything, as scaffolding, consisting of three or four legs secured to a top piece, and forming a sort of stool or horse…,

Come on, everyone knows what a tressel is :unamused:

(I had to look it up, though - just to be sure :slight_smile: )

That’s right DM, though I’m a little surprised you had to look it up.

I had a feeling North Americans might not know what a tressel was, but I have no idea how you say it in American (or Canadian or uh… Alaskan).

So now you know what it is, ladies and gentlemen, any ideas why everyone’s carrying only one? (Tressels need to be used in pairs, or more.)

Well I was unsure because you said they were used on bikes.

But I saw what you actually meant the other day when I saw a scooter going down the road with an upside-down tressel tied to the back. Just one.

I have no idea what they are for and now it is starting to bug me.

I’ll find out. I’m going to ask the next rider I see with one.

Double post.

If you do an images search of “tressel” you’ll see a lot of railway bridges, because they call the support for a railway bridge a tressel. I don’t imagine you are talking about a railway tressel at all. Maybe a photo?

Are you talking about the shelf a lot of bikes have welded on for carrying things? I see a lot of bikes with a frame on the back for:

1. propane tanks
  2. crates of things like bin lang
  3. work tools

They are shelves on the back of your bike. You put your stuff on them and then use a rubber strap to keep your stuff from falling off. When you’re not carrying anything, the shelf can be empty.

These tressels are like those I would imagine used to support scaffolding when painting a house or something. Maybe five feet high. They don’t appear to be a permanent part of the bike, and they’re not gas tank racks or such. I know what they look like: recipes for disaster.

I’ll try and get some photos, but it’s not really safe when I’m riding. Until then, ponder this:

This morning I saw two binlang homies on a scooter, the one riding pillion was carry a single, old, plank of wood. Damn near poked me in the eye. I mean face. Anyway, the board looked old and not suitable for any kind of construction, but what I don’t get it why only one plank?! Are they all bringing a plank each, going to build a block of flats? One plank per bike?

Please some one tell me and keep me from going spare during a boring day at work.

They’re not trestles, they’re ladders. Well, they ARE trestles, but they’re used as ladders. Buy them at any paint shop.

What? Really?

…but they wouldn’t be any higher than a small step ladder. :ponder:

Sandy, are you pulling my leg?

kamiwaza

Not pulling your leg at all. That’s exactly what they are – small step-ladders. They use them to gain that few extra feet when they’re painting ceilings, etc. They also come in larger sizes – I have a couple of the longer ones myself.

Damn. That’s not as an exciting answer as I hoped for.

Not meaning to be crude, Sandman, but is that what you tell all da ladeez? And, do you carry them around on the back of your Yamaha, ready to poke faces out with?

kamiwaza