Trials bikes (just saw one outside my house)

Went outside and saw a trials bike. Took a couple of pics.

Believe it or not…it’s a 300cc two-stroke engine…geared purely for torque…his was made by “Gas Gas” or maybe “Gas”

I talked to the guy for a bit. He said that lots of them meet on a small mountain that’s up that road from “Tao-Yuan High School”. He said it’s the road directly beside the school and there are people there everyday training, but on the weekend there are lots of them climbing and stunting. I’m pretty sure I’d never buy one…but I think I’ll check it out this Sunday if the weather is good. He said you can pick up a second hand one for about 100,000…if any of you are into that kinda thing.

Trial bike? Is that like a bike you try out for a month before deciding if you want to buy it or not? :stuck_out_tongue:

Trial bikes are very light bikes which are used to go on really crazy off road ways. The main thing is to make the path without stepping down no matter how big the rock or how slippery the waterfall is. You need a lot of balancing and you play with breaks, throutle and balancing with your body. If you see good riders you don’t believe where they ride over.

PS: It is a Gas Gas and I also will never get one but I always was fascinated by there skills.

We used to have a TV programme in the UK called Kickstart. It was great.

Some info here (not much I’m afraid):
http://www.peterpurves.com/peterinsport.html

trials riders are the cause for a lot of friction on mtn trails. up on wuzhrshan the local tea house dudes (there illegally mind you) often booby trap the trails with nails.

trials riders usually ride up trails as opposed to on or down them. its about skills, balance etc. that said, they are horribly polluting noisy machines that really dont fit in too well with the quiet of the mtns.

My mechanic has a very nice Yamaha trials bike (note the “s” :wink: ). He sometimes rides it on a Sunday morning with a bunch of other trials riders. They’re all skilled. One of the guys is an ex pro rally driver. I got some decent photos when I went out to watch them a year or so ago. I’ll see whether I can upload some.

no helmet. nice. :loco:

Well…in the wheelie pics they are moving at about 5-10km an hour. Do you wear a helmet every time you jog? :wink:

sure, it’s slow but… I do bicycle trials stuff (poorly) and even then helmets are the name of the game… you wear them for that one in a million time where you’ll come off at 5km/h and somehow catch your head on the foot peg or on the bench or wall something… rather safe than vegetablized…

trials motorcycles are bloody incredible… I’d love to have one, but they are kind of limiting, they are geared ultra low, have miniscule gas tanks and no seat, so you can’t ride them to where you want to go trialing without looking like a prat going 29km/h with the engine at redline then and running out of gas half way there…

the sport is hugely popular in Europe, but not so much in the US mostly because they are rubbish at it, so you don’t see much of it on non EU television… in the world championship Brit, Dougie Lampkin is the man at the head of the pack, 12 time world champion… watching these guys ride up waterfalls and across rivers and up cliff faces without touching their feet down is amazing…

the Taiwanese equivalent of blundering up mountain paths is of course rather low brow in comparison…

Well…in the wheelie pics they are moving at about 5-10km an hour. Do you wear a helmet every time you jog? :wink:[/quote]

No but when I jog I am not at the mercy of horsepower and masses of steel, pegs, metal, rocks, 3m drops etc.

Well…in the wheelie pics they are moving at about 5-10km an hour. Do you wear a helmet every time you jog? :wink:[/quote]

No but when I jog I am not at the mercy of horsepower and masses of steel, pegs, metal, rocks, 3m drops etc.[/quote]

You should jog in more interesting places then. :stuck_out_tongue:

I mountain bike in more interesting places. Saw a no helmet wearing local come off recently. Face planted into a rock at speed.

Very nice pics, Plasmatron.

Don’t worry, it’s as Mordeth surmised: the helmet-off was a one-off, just for the purposes of the 5kmh wheelie shot on flat, soft ground. I wouldn’t do it but I am a very cautious person.

There used to be a trials and mtb shop out near XinDian… cant remember the name, but the owner was a mtb and trials champ of some description.

Xiao Jien. I bought my last mtb off him. He has a much bigger shop now, mostly trials bikes, a lot of RC cars and stuff. He’ll still put a mtb together for you if you want, though. He’s a very nice bloke indeed. Fearless. :astonished:

bigger shop at same location? last time i was there he just ramping up his RC hobby in-store

Same location? I don’t know. His old shop was tiny, right by the Dapingling MRT station. His new one is much bigger, though. Sorry, I can’t remember exactly where it is but I’ll find out soon as I need some new derailleur cables and stuff. Its not too far from his old shop.

Its near the MuZha Road bridge yeah?

I honestly can’t remember – I’ve only been once. I mean to try and get over there this weekend, so I’ll let you know. The wife knows where it is.