Tricky Work Situation

I’ve been working for one company for several months from 9->3:40 and later got asked to work from 4:30 to 6:30 there as well. They sponsored my ARC and my visa got changed and then they realized that they no longer had room for me from 9 -> 3:40.

This leaves me in a sticky situation? I’m unable to find a new job unless the hours and area don’t conflict with this timing, and I risk being booted out of the country and losing my ARC if I find a job that forces me to quit. Since I don’t want to commute all over the place, how can I obtain my freedom? Will a new employer be able to add himself quickly to my ARC to stop the cancellation process? Should i try to change my status somehow? Please help me!

[quote=“JBaroh”]I’ve been working for one company for several months from 9->3:40 and later got asked to work from 4:30 to 6:30 there as well. They sponsored my ARC and my visa got changed and then they realized that they no longer had room for me from 9 -> 3:40.

This leaves me in a sticky situation? I’m unable to find a new job unless the hours and area don’t conflict with this timing, and I risk being booted out of the country and losing my ARC if I find a job that forces me to quit. Since I don’t want to commute all over the place, how can I obtain my freedom? Will a new employer be able to add himself quickly to my ARC to stop the cancellation process? Should I try to change my status somehow? Please help me![/quote]

J it sounds as though your employer is giving you the flick… but in a nice gentle Chinese kind of way (i.e. by not just showing you the door, but reducing your hours to give you the hint…). Is this right?

If so, take the opportunity to go out and find yourself another employer who will sponsor you for a work permit and give you the hours you want. ONCE you have this in the bag (i.e. have a written offer from them), tee-up a meeting with your current boss, explain the fact you have another job offer, and give your notice (check in your contract how much time this should be).

At the same meeting, present your employer with a resignation letter, and request a letter of termination in reply. This will probably be needed for your new work permit application.

AFAIK your old employer can’t just just call the CLA and cancel your work permit as soon as you inform them you’re leaving - like you, they have to work to the period of notice in your contract. This should be sufficient time to obtain the work permit through your new employer - a work permit takes about 2 weeks to come through.

Once you leave the building for the last time, however, the company is obliged to call the CLA and cancel your work permit. The clock starts ticking at this point - you then have 2 weeks to either land a new work permit, or get out of the country.

With new work permit in hand, and strings to your old employer finally severed, go down to MoFA and transfer you ARC. You will need to take with you the following shit -

1. Your letter of termination from your old employer.
  2. Your new work permit.
  3. A health certificate (Renai can knock you one together for NT$600).
  4. A fist full of photos.
  5. Perhaps a tax certificate (you can get one of these from the Taipei tax office just up the road from Ximending).
  6. A completed visa application form.

You should have your new ARC in about a week.

It doesn’t sound like you’re up the river without a paddle just yet, but managing your boss on your way out the door is crucial to having a smooth changeover. Good luck with it.