Trojan horse

Hey AAF.

Rik posted some good Acer recovery info in another thread. I’ll see if I can find it, but if anyone else knows off-hand, feel free to post it first.

Edit: Here you go. Scroll down a bit.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?recordid=853&formid=3390&website=AcerPanAm.com&siteid=7117&words=all&keywords=&areaid=2

Brethren, I took my notebook to the company I bought it from(ACER). I couldn’t believe the service. My computer is covered for two years. They helped me not only to get it back to normal (although I lost all my files, which I considered utter rubbish though), but also found a hardware problem, which they fixed too, making it the third thing they helped me with this week (they also fixed my speaker[color=orange]).
I’m always taken by surprise when people and companies actually keep their word.
[/color]
[color=red]
I’m even more surprised by people like you who take the time to help other people without the hope of recompensation.
[/color]

The only thing I would like to know what you think of “PC-cillin” because the guy who helped me said it was “worse”. I’m not sure if he meant using the computer with PC-cillin was worse than using nothing, or that it was worse than all other brands.

By the way, thanks for “dumbing down”. My mother was born in St. Olaf.

I haven’t used Norton since 2001 and most people I know hate them with a passion, mostly complains about resource hogging and just generally crappy protection. (No idea if this is true, but I see Norton get trashed rather frequently on most forums)

I’m using Kaspersky and most of my friends use NOD32. Generally speaking it’s pretty easy to keep your computer safe … get a decent AV, firewall and use script blocking when surfing the web. Other than that it’s just regular maintenance and things should run pretty well.

I don’t want to be a smartass but I believe that if the guy is smart enough to figure out how to keep cleaning up the messes that virus’s and spyware cause to windows, he could spend that time to learn Linux and not have to worry about it in the future.

If you haven’t tried Linux in a few years, the desktop has gotten much easier to use, the installation is pretty easy, and the detection and installation of drivers is now better than XP, IMHO.

Unless the OP runs some very specific software, that can only run on windows, I think he should consider it.
I wish I was in Taipei, I would be glad to help him install, but I’m down in the boonies.

Any Linux users up north willing to help out?