American with Taiwan born Parent: TARC, NWOHR, NHI, Dual Citizenship, Double Taxation,

Household registration is tied to a physical address, it could be a place your renting or a friend or family members. You don’t need to be registered as part of their household but your own household at the same address. So you would still be the only one on your household registration. You would need a landlord, friend or family member’s permission and some documents as well. Technically landlords cannot deny you registering your household at the place you’re renting but they frequently do and the HHRO is not very helpful in this regard. This was my experience, there is a forumosan who had this problem and the HHRO visited them at the place they were renting and updated his/her household registration without the landlord’s permission. When I faced this problem the HHRO basically said ‘too bad so sad. Yes it’s illegal but it’s not my problem, see yah’ But path of least resistance is just tell the landlord straight up when you’re looking for a place.

Landlords don’t always like to let you use the place your renting cos they can’t avoid the tax man if you do.

Homeless people or people who don’t have a physical address they can use have their household registration at the Household registration office. But I doubt they would allow this for initial household registration and it causes daily life inconveniences too

As far as I know, no. People get a bit weirded out by it though

Oh i forgot to answer this bit

Having household registration is basically what would be citizenship in other countries

Being a NWOHR with a TARC is similar to permanent residency in other countries but you can hold a passport (if you’re not from China/HK/Macau)

APRC is similar to the special category visas of trans-tasman travel arrangements between AU and NZ

1 Like