Trying to find a job as a designer or spanish teacher but

Hello guys!
I’m a Colombian girl, 25 years old living in Taichung. I have been here for more than 1 year and my visa expired on october first.

This is my problem:
I’m a volunteer teacher from AIESEC (AIESEC is the world’s largest student‐run organisation. Focused on providing a platform for youth leadership development, aiesec.org) I’m teaching in Lioubao elementary school in Taichung, I’m teaching about Colombian culture, latin American countries, music, legends, tales etc. (in english, of course, they can’t understand spanish).

The thing is, I want to find a new job after I finish my volunteer job in the school. I want to stay in Taiwan longer and save some money to bring my Mom and little sister to visit the island.

As you can see I have been a volunteer so I don’t earn money, I just recive accomodation and food from the school :slight_smile:
In any case I want to find a real job and change my RESIDENT VISA to WORKING VISA.

My major is visual and graphic design (web design and illustration) but I also have good skills at teaching. So I’m pretty capable to teach spanish as well.

I want to find a job teaching spanish or as a designer in a company but I have no idea how I can find it because my chinese level isn’t very good.

If you have some useful information I really apreciate it!

Thank you so much!

Check your contract carefully. Volunteer positions very often have a clause guaranteeing that you will leave at the end of your term and will not seek to stay on in Taiwan.

Thanks for the advice, but fortunetly this is noy my case. I can stay in Taiwan if I can renew my visa, so I guess the only way is finding a job in my area so I can change my resident ROC for a working visa… :ponder:

You need two years of documented experience to apply for a work visa. If you are still mentioning your university major, chances are (I’m talking from the dozens of people who’ve posted about similar issues on this board; your case may be different) you do not have any work experience in your home country, or you would be talking about that instead.

If you had one year of paid, full-time work experience in your field in your home country, it might be worthwhile to try to get the volunteer year recognized as experience, but without that, you need to gain experience somewhere.

[quote=“ironlady”]You need two years of documented experience to apply for a work visa. If you are still mentioning your university major, chances are (I’m talking from the dozens of people who’ve posted about similar issues on this board; your case may be different) you do not have any work experience in your home country, or you would be talking about that instead.

If you had one year of paid, full-time work experience in your field in your home country, it might be worthwhile to try to get the volunteer year recognized as experience, but without that, you need to gain experience somewhere.[/quote]

Thank you so much for you reply.

Actually I have work experience in my country. Before I went to Taiwan I worked in a company in Colombia for 1 year.
But is good to know about this 2 years of experience you said, I didn’t know that!

thanks for the information!

Or a masters degree gets you out of the need for two years work experience.