Trying to reenter Taiwan

So I am moving to Taiwan with my spouse next month. We went to the local mission to get the visa, and they told us that we are getting a single entry. My spouse is coming on a Taiwanese funded research fellowship, and I am coming as his spouse. The problem is that midway through our stay, I have to return to my home country to attend a wedding. I assume that once I leave I won’t be able to reenter, so I am trying to figure out if there is a way to return to Taiwan after the wedding. My spouse will not make an ARC (apparently we are given 120 days) so I think spouse visa will be out of the picture?

Can’t you just get another single entry visa for the second part of your visit?

As for now there is no tourist visa, so I am applying for a spouse visa. The problem is that as of now at least, I can only apply for this visa if my spouse is with ARC. Since he will not apply for ARC I am unsure if I can apply under the basis of visiting family.

Your situation and the 120 day thing sound unusual - I assume it’s some kind of special not-an-ARC permission to stay thing for academic exchange? I’ve heard/read of similar things for diplomats.

Have you asked the “consulate” you’re applying to? Maybe they could advise. I suspect few people here came to Taiwan via this route.

I am now trying to talk to the consulate at home, but just trying to brainstorm over here first :slight_smile:

But yeah, we were supposed to be given 90 days but due to the nature of the academic exchange we were given 120 days.

My guess is that you might need to go to immigration or BOCA (Bureau of Consular Affairs) once you’re here to get some kind of re-entry permit, or worst case get a new single-entry visa again to come back again, but again that’s only a guess.

Maybe you should clarify where you’re from? It could be that you’re from a place where you can get a visa exemption (or are likely to be able to by the time you need it), in which case entering as a spouse might not be necessary.

Just get a JFRV ARC.

@brownsugarboba where are you from?

Indonesia. Looking up for JFRV ARC :slight_smile: thanks for the suggestion.

Ah, damn. Not on the countries allowed in without a visa. But yeah, a JFRV ARC should make it easy for you to come in and out since you’re married to him. Is he Taiwanese?

Following… have been wondering about this.

Oops, husband is not taiwanese and not ARC. This is why I can’t apply for joining family.

Ask the office giving you the single entry visa. They’re your best hope in finding a solution. Good luck!