Trying to understand what's important to Taiwanese men

It’s probably too easy for us onlookers to pass judgement without knowing the complete story, but if this guy got back with his girlfriend (for love, money, looks, sex…we’ll probably never know why) but still wants to keep seeing you, you should just dump him if you’re not looking for anything casual.

Do Taiwanese Men tend to be shallow? Many are, but not all.

Do they care mainly about money and looks? It does feel that way sometimes – for both men and women, mind you – but then again I tend to judge my own people more harshly.

Is this guy a garden variety asshole? Based on what you’ve told us yeah he kinda is.

What’s important to Taiwanese men? Why should it matter more than What’s important to you?

What matters when Taiwanese men are looking for a girlfriend? What matters when you are looking for a boyfriend?

Dating is hard; you’re not alone. Hang in there! Sorry for sounding like Oprah.

3 Likes

yeah I mentioned above feeling that prioritizing money was old-fashioned. I mean, my grandma married for financial security so I think of it as something people did more often two generations ago. It was also an awful marriage to behold which has obviously affected what I consider important in a relationship.

edit: the old-fashioned part is just referring to me being a romantic person. marrying for money seems old-fashioned as a practice. sorry, confusing.

Thanks for your input. I really need other people on the outside looking in who can tell me this dude sucks because to be honest the chemistry was wild so it’s hard for me to see it. Sigh!

One time I heard my wife telling my youngest daughter “You can marry rich, or you can marry handsome”

Considering I’m broke as fuck and always have been…

I would also say enjoy single life while you can. I’m sure you’ll be fine and find someone. Once you find that someone, you might never enjoy some of the pluses of being single till the day you or they die or I guess separate. No need to push it for one guy.

well, you can also marry someone who’s both, but the likelihood that he won’t trade you in for a newer model ten years down the line is woefully slim.

Well that’s the trade off of you not upgrading for someone richer and better looking as well.

This.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with shy. But I’d avoid passive, too agreeable and incompetent. It’s important to know the difference.

This.

I’ve always been a big believer of meeting that special someone when you least expect it.

It sounds like you understand yourself and know what you want. I think you also know that guy wasn’t it, and that you’ll recognize the right one when he does come along.

2 Likes

my main issue with the shy guys is the relationship progresses at a snail’s pace. I’m not getting on in years or anything but I don’t have three months to spend waiting on somebody to finally hold my hand. What can I say? Sexual compatibility is important. I’m pretty westernized in this regard.

Probably a lot of guys didn’t have much experience , that’s why you were more attracted to the experienced guy ?
There’s loads of fish out there, just gotta get out and meet em. Westerners will be easier for you in general to connect with. If long term relationship you know well the family connections become real important for a lot of folks and lots of families here are controlling of women who marry in. As you know already. Not all but a lot .

1 Like

Teach them. I feel like it’s not usually something that’s not fixable unless it’s something that’s crossing their personal boundaries. When I was younger I’ve always found older and more experienced women to show me the ropes. We all had to start somewhere

Women don’t go for good guys
If a guy is good and incel(probably equivalent to阿宅), that’s just doomed.

2 Likes

I have to agree in general. There’s a reason beauty and the beast is probably one of the most popular story. It’s almost like intrinsically women even from childhood want to tame the beast.

1 Like

Stay single till you can lol. It’s really hard to find someone when you looking for them, you tend to lower you standards and ignore all the negatives of them. In my experience the right guys always come your way when you least expect them.
Also, if you find yourself looking for them, be aware of WHERE to look for, usually guys in club, bars ecc tend to not be looking for serious relationships and a big % of them have a gf already and are just looking for one night stands.

2 Likes

Yeah, but no guy is perfect!

who knows whats up with this guy. the point is he wants some side action with you and you want more. maybe he told you a good story. who knows. move on to the next and get some experience of guys here. you seem kind of surprised that guys care about looks or money here, its totally the norm.

1 Like
  1. Well, no man will stay for a 6 when he can realistically bang an 8.
  2. Most men care for looks (see No. 1). Assholes, golddiggers, ets. cares about money when dating women.
  3. Assholes are everywhere.
  4. See No. 1 and 2.
2 Likes