TSA to/from KHH to end August 2012

Once the golden domestic route, it will be shuttered from the end of August. And i suppose the route to Hengchun will follow soon if not already.

THen only flights to offshore islands or Eastern TAiwan.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003538360

Western trunk routes all to be gone due to HSR (rightly so).

Never flew Taipei Sungshan to Hsinchu but they used to do those with SAABs .

NEver flew Taipei Sungshan to Chiayi but i think Far Eastern flew that once.

Flew a lot of Sungshan to Tainan and Sungshan to Kaohsiung.

Never flew Sungshan to Hengchun. But that airport is a white elephant along with that route.

Woah, there used to be flights from Taipei to Hsinchu? I never would’ve imagined!

HSR ended domestic flights on the Western side of Taiwan.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand that, but I didn’t realize that before the HSR there were flights between Taipei and Hsinchu, which seem close enough that driving would be more convenient for most people.

I really wonder how much time flying saved vs driving from Neihu/central Taipei.

Yup ex had been on a flight songshan to hsinchu on a Saab 340
Formosa airlines had two I think but soon lost one

Flying in west side of Taiwan doesn’t make sense
With the HSR around

1 Like

Before HSR, you can fly constantly between many small city even if they’re nearby each other.

Business Travelers did it all the time because they would fly and come back the same day maybe within a few hours instead of a long overnight trip.

Now it’s similar at least on the west coast they go by HSR and come back same day.

2 Likes

Well TSA to KHH still kinda makes sense as both airports are right in town and the flight itself takes 35 to 40 mins

With push back back to gate within 60 mins

Back in the day there was a flight almost every 45
Mins and you can use any airline on any ticket and prices were fixed so no complications And tickets were good for a year and no penalties for no show

They ran like shuttles and there was no long security line

Basically show your ID get your reusable boarding pass which you surrendered at the gate

No high security taking up a long time
So just taxi to airport and taxis from airport

No fuss

Tickets were less than 2000nt IIRC

When I first started flying that route tickets were 650nt IIRC

To be honest I’d rather take the HSR with its 90 mins point to point

Flights really only make sense TSA and KHH to Taitung now

2 Likes

You captured it well.

Planes used to be the fast buses of taiwan before HSR.

Wow, I’m super interested in aviation and flying in general, so this is fascinating!

It seems like you guys have been in Taiwan for a long time, so it’s great to hear how flying in Taiwan used to be!

Do you know if there has ever been direct service from the east coast of Taiwan to Penghu, Kinmen, or Matsu?

Right now, I see that HUN (Hualien Airport) has direct flights to TSA, RMQ, and KHH, and TTT (Taitung Airport) only has direct flights to TSA.

Another question:

Why/when did Hsinchu stop having commercial flights?
Cities like Tainan and Chiayi are still served with connections to Penghu and Kinmen.

Hualien had a flight to HK at one point.

They were pushing east coast tourism hard in 2017-2019. Penghu also had flights to HK, PRC. If you go to the airport you can see their shuttered dusty customs area.

1 Like