Tsai Ing-wen Again

It’s posted—and discussed—above. :upside_down_face:

Guy

Ah yeah, just saw that. My bad. But there’s no link to the actual article, is it?

1 Like

I also expressed reservations about stopping the expansion of trade.

Sunflower Movement was the stupidest crap that moved Taiwan in the right direction.

Just like how K-pop is the most mediocre garbage that’s blessed my life.

For anyone out there who is not yet persuaded Tsai Ing-wen is Taiwan’s craftiest political ninja since Lee Teng-hui, have a look at this recent post by Nathan Batto at Frozen Garlic. The political moves we’re seeing are jaw dropping. :grin:

Guy

5 Likes

Poor A-bian. :laughing: :laughing: He really was a peasant compared with the others wasn’t he?

Deer-in-the-headlights Ma wasn’t much better. He claimed (and claims) to revere CCK—but then used up all his remaining political capital for that humiliating handshake with the Chinese-Communist-in-Chief in that useless meeting in Singapore.

Guy

1 Like

Good Tsai. I like her more and more.

Don’t chuck the 3PPs

???

Guy

I reckon it means the Three Principles of the People.

1 Like

There’s no way in hell Tsai buys that sh&t.

She’s playing the angles to argue (compellingly in my view) that if anyone’s going to stand up for us here against the commies, it’s our administration, and not the confused and potentially dangerous panda huggers running the KMT. :rofl:

Guy

So let it be spoken…

So let it be done.

Taipei, Jan. 19 (CNA) U.S.-based biotech developer DynaFlex and semiconductor equipment supplier SUSS MicroTec from Germany on Wednesday announced plans to increase investment in Taiwan, as they look to develop Taiwan into one of their global manufacturing hubs.

1 Like

I would like to point out the intellectual dishonesty permeating Western thinktankers who make a living by writing and talking about “Cross-Strait” issues. CCK handpicked Lee Teng-Hui as his successor. Lee Teng-Hui not only ran Taiwan, he ran KMT from 1990 to 2000. So whenever these thinktankers intentionally sideline LTH, or avoid mentioning his name, or attempt to downplay his power, or refuse to recognize his comprehensive and leadership role in engaging China, I consider that as evidence of intellectual dishonesty.

(Especially, especially the proponents of the 92 consensus. Give me a break. Do they mean to suggest Lee Teng-Hui reached a consensus with China? Because they seemed to conveniently airbrush LTH out of the picture. He himself was the ONE PERSON who ran the Party and the government FGS. )

The line of succession in terms of high-level political ideology is as follows CCK - LTH -CBS - TIW. To me as a Taiwanese I can tell you the common narrative in this line is extremely consistent. That 1st, Taiwan is its own state, called it whatever you want. And 2nd, no union with P.R.C. period. (Btw this is my observation and not necessarily agreeing with their politics )

CCK certainly did not agree that Taiwan was its own state- he did think there should be no union with the PRC; he thought the ROC should destroy the PRC and Taiwan should be ruled as part of China.

He did end up having to choose this path toward the end. It was a very last minute decision and reluctantly yes. He didn’t have any other option. CCK died 1986 (oh I remember that day vividly even though I was a small kid) . Basically, he changed his mind. DPP formed under his tacit consent. And everybody knew DPP and in fact most of the dissidents; main objective was Taiwan’s independence.

Wasn’t it 1988, after he lifted Martial Law in 1987?

1 Like

Yes . Should be 88.

For some interesting weekend reading, forumosans curious about Tsai’s career could have a look at the first of a series of articles on this topic by C Donovan Smith, now writing at Taiwan News. As the “Part I” suggests, more on this topic is to come.

Guy

1 Like

Isn’t the DPP very much a KMT construct? Formed at the Grand Hotel in mid 80s with KMT permission? Sort of like, the Reagan admin saying democratize or else no arms etc., so such formations being watched and allowed? Kind of like Opus Dei, Spanish technocrats, and Liberal Francoists guiding Spain to democracy?

1 Like

What’s interesting now is how Tsai is out-KMTing the KMT, positioning herself as the rightful heir to CCK to defend Taiwan against the commies, unlike the dangerous radicals now populating the KMT.

Guy

Tsai’s latest political ninja move: her government has lifted (with some restrictions) the decade-long ban on food from the five Japanese prefectures near the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.

Now cue the KMT to go berzerk . . . .

Guy