Tsai Ing-wen Reportedly Accused of Violating Civil Servants Work Act (公務員服務法)

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Charlie Jack”][quote]Tens of thousands of protesters poured into the streets last night to join a symbolic “siege” of the Presidential Office as part of the anti-President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) movement aimed at ousting him.[/quote]Taipei Times,
September 16, 2006

[quote]Yu Chang Biologics Co was registered and established on
Sept. 5, 2007
, with Tsai as its chairperson. . . .[/quote]–Yesterday’s Taipei Times

If they want to beat the Kuomintang, they’re going to have to get smarter.[/quote]

What?[/quote]

I said, if they want to beat the Kuomintang, they’re going to have to get smarter.

In the Kuomintang’s view, it, and no one else, is the rightful owner of power here. In evidence of that, when they lose we see barely contained fury, punctuated by occasional episodes of incontinence:

But why should they engage in such counterproductive behavior when it seems the DPP can be counted on to provide them with a more acceptable approach?

The Red Shirt movement and all the hooraw connected with it should have been fresh in Tsai’s memory. She should have at least suspected they might be waiting for her.

I think the DPP is still weakened from the brutal beating it got in 2008. And regardless of what the opinion polls say (and who knows what they’ll say after this news), the KMT has a well-rooted patronage or patronage-like system in place that’s very helpful in winning elections. If the DPP wants to have any hope of winning, really winning, so that it can actually assume full policy-making power, it’s got to avoid doing anything that the KMT can substantially capitalize on.

:2cents:

I agree, but some percentage of the voters may not see it that way.

They could at least limit them to the purely fabricated kind.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
One thing though. Taipei Times reports:

[quote]According to fund data, on Feb. 15, 2007 then-Council for Economic Planning and Development chairperson and NDF convener Ho Mei-yueh (何美玥) sent documents labeled classified to then-premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) and then-vice premier Tsai for approval, stating that under certain conditions, the fund would invest NT$20 million (US$663,000) in a company that would work with US firm Genentech.
The committee managing the fund passed an incidental motion on April 17 that it would retain the Feb. 15 document for future reference, the fund’s data showed.
On Aug. 31 the same year, Tsai sent a letter to the fund asking it to wire NT$40 million to the account of the “Taimao Protein Technology Co Preparatory Office (台懋蛋白胜科技股份有限公司)” before Sept. 3. Another letter was sent on the same day saying the company’s name had been changed to “Yu Chang Biologics Co (宇昌生技股份有限公司),” repeating the request for the fund to wire NT$40 million to the account of Yu Chang Biologics Co Preparatory Office.[/quote]

Would Tsai roll in approving the funding have been simply perfunctory?[/quote]

It would surprise me greatly if the premier and vice premier were involved at all in making a decision about the investment of such a tiny sum. I can only assume that the whole matter was conducted by officials at a much lower level, with the relevant documents dispatched under the names of the people at the top.

(Anyone who has worked with the government here will know that almost all official correspondence from a government department will bear the signature of the head of the department stamped on with his official seal. I have many documents concerning my various employments, appointments and commissions, even for the most minor tasks, that are always sent to me in the name of the minister or other head of the agency concerned. Even requests to attend routine committee meetings always carry the relevant minister’s seal.)

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
One thing though. Taipei Times reports:

[quote]According to fund data, on Feb. 15, 2007 then-Council for Economic Planning and Development chairperson and NDF convener Ho Mei-yueh (何美玥) sent documents labeled classified to then-premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) and then-vice premier Tsai for approval, stating that under certain conditions, the fund would invest NT$20 million (US$663,000) in a company that would work with US firm Genentech.
The committee managing the fund passed an incidental motion on April 17 that it would retain the Feb. 15 document for future reference, the fund’s data showed.
On Aug. 31 the same year, Tsai sent a letter to the fund asking it to wire NT$40 million to the account of the “Taimao Protein Technology Co Preparatory Office (台懋蛋白胜科技股份有限公司)” before Sept. 3. Another letter was sent on the same day saying the company’s name had been changed to “Yu Chang Biologics Co (宇昌生技股份有限公司),” repeating the request for the fund to wire NT$40 million to the account of Yu Chang Biologics Co Preparatory Office.[/quote]

Would Tsai roll in approving the funding have been simply perfunctory?[/quote]

It would surprise me greatly if the premier and vice premier were involved at all in making a decision about the investment of such a tiny sum. I can only assume that the whole matter was conducted by officials at a much lower level, with the relevant documents dispatched under the names of the people at the top.

(Anyone who has worked with the government here will know that almost all official correspondence from a government department will bear the signature of the head of the department stamped on with his official seal. I have many documents concerning my various employments, appointments and commissions, even for the most minor tasks, that are always sent to me in the name of the minister or other head of the agency concerned. Even requests to attend routine committee meetings always carry the relevant minister’s seal.)[/quote]

I trust you implicitly in things like that, but I’m concerned with how the voters will react. Lincoln never addressed whether one can fool most of the people most of the time.

I have no doubt that some of the mud will stick, and some part of the electorate will be influenced by it.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]

If they want to beat the Kuomintang, they’re going to have to get [strike]smarter[/strike] stupid fuckwits to stop voting for the KMT.[/quote]

There. Fixed that for ya.

The very interesting Frozen Garlic blog suggested that whilst Tsai’s reputation may take a hit, other voters may decide that the KMT is engaging in character assassination, resulting in them and Ma getting hurt even more.

frozengarlic.wordpress.com/2011/ … g-scandal/

I guess the amount of damage the Kuomintang can do depends on the significance that can be attached to Tsai’s signatures on those two documents.

Here’s something interesting from today’s Taipei Times:

[quote]In response to accusations by the KMT that Tsai masterminded the passage of the Biotech and New Pharmaceuticals Industry Development Act (生技新藥產業發展條例) in 2007 to help establish Yu Chang, the DPP said that piece of legislation was pushed through by Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) [who is is also a prominent member of the Kuomintang–my note], who himself has said the act was beneficial to the nation.

According to the legislature’s gazette, Wang played an active role in the enactment and passage of the act and was part of efforts jointly exerted by the legislature, then dominated by the KMT, and executive branches to offer various incentives to boost the sector.

“The act has benefited the nation. If it hadn’t been passed at that time, it was likely that the biotech and new pharmaceutical industry was doomed,” Wang said today.

Wang said government officials involved in the development of the industry and professionals could corroborate his argument.

“Go ahead and ask them their views on the act,” Wang said.[/quote] taipeitimes.com/News/front/archi … 03520609/2

Surprisingly (to me, at least) Sunday’s China Post editorial ridicules Chiu Yi (but not about the Yu Chang matter):
chinapost.com.tw/editorial/t … se-row.htm

The latest is that Christina Liu had to apologize for potentially forging documents. This could be huge but details are a bit sketchy. The DPP are claiming the papers Liu released on Monday showed Tsai involved in taimed when she was still vice-premier in March, but in fact the report was written in August.

Liu has shown herself to be contemptibly partisan so this wouldn’t surprise me. But if true, wow, this is big news.

[quote]TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Council for Economic Planning and Development Minister Christina Liu apologized Tuesday for mishandling the release of documents about the Yu Chang scandal.
On Monday, the CEPD released classified documents about investments by its National Development Fund in Yu Chang Biologics Company after the Kuomintang accused opposition Democratic Progressive Party presidential candidate Tsai Ing-wen of conflict of interest.

When she was vice premier in 2007, Tsai approved a US$20 million (NT$661 million) investment in the company, of which she became chairwoman several months after leaving government. The KMT accuses Tsai of having violated conflict-of-interest legislation.

Tsai has denied any illegal actions and dismissed the KMT allegations as an attempt to discredit her in the run-up to the January 14 election.

The documents released by Liu Monday purported to show that at an investment promotion meeting in March 2007, it was already known that Tsai would become an investor in TaiMed Group, at that time the name for the Yu Chang project.

Liu apologized Tuesday afternoon after the DPP threatened to sue her if she didn’t clarify the dispute about the dates. She said she was willing to apologize for making a mistake, but denied the release of the documents was a KMT conspiracy designed to sink Tsai’s campaign.

Earlier, reports said Liu was weighing her resignation. At a news conference Tuesday morning, the opposition party said Liu was guilty of forgery by pretending the documents she published were dated March 2007 while they were actually signed in August of that year. The difference made it look as if Tsai was heavily involved in the project when she was still in government, even though the documents dated from several months later when she had left the Cabinet and started serving as Yu Chang chairwoman at the invitation of high-profile scientists, the DPP said.[/quote]

Holy cow. It’s getting interesting.

Well, I don’t want anyone to go to jail or be ruined over this, but I hope it turns out that the KMT (or maybe a certain part of the KMT) stepped on its tail on this one.

At the very least the DPP has injected enough uncertainty to mean the allegations almost certainly have to collapse, at least in the eyes of anyone who isn’t a strong Blue supporter. But it sounds just like the KMT to play fast and loose with the facts.

The final debate should be an interesting one. Tsai will hammer the KMT with this if she has any sense.

Holy cow. It’s getting interesting. Well, I don’t want anyone to go to jail or be ruined over this, but I hope it turns out that the KMT (or maybe a certain part of the KMT) stepped on its tail on this one.[/quote]

Well whats new about the KMT making false allegations or making their own documents to suit. Why shouldnt people be jailed for making fradulant documents. They are in other countries if the case merits serving time. In many cases in Taiwan the term is converted to a fine anyway.

Holy cow. It’s getting interesting. Well, I don’t want anyone to go to jail or be ruined over this, but I hope it turns out that the KMT (or maybe a certain part of the KMT) stepped on its tail on this one.[/quote]

Well whats new about the KMT making false allegations or making their own documents to suit. Why shouldnt people be jailed for making fradulant documents.[/quote]

Sometimes they’re jailed, sometimes not:

I’m not Buddha-like or anything like that; I’m just glad that this time, when the KMT went to expose someone, they got exposed themselves. I’m more interested in that sort of thing than I am in any efforts to burn one of their members. Also, I think the KMT is an old hand at no-holds-barred-type fighting, to put it mildly. If it just came down to a contest to see which party could do a better job of coming up with a way to burn the other one, there’s a good chance the KMT would win that one.

Some people are simply not interested in ground-truthing… yes I’m referring to you archylgp… but only prefer to blindly support their political colours. Corruption is rife in Taiwan and all political parties are involved in it in varying extents. As the saying goes, people living in glass houses shouldn’t be throwing stones. The KMT is historically and currently the most corrupt political party in Taiwan.

From today’s Taipei Times:

[quote]Yesterday afternoon, the DPP filed lawsuits with the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office against Liu and KMT legislators Chiu Yi (邱毅), Hsieh Kuo-liang (謝國樑) and Lin Yi-shih (林益世), charging them with document forgery and violating the Presidential and Vice Presidential Election and Recall Act (總統副總統選舉罷免法).

The party also condemned what it called the SIP’s [Special Investigation Panel’s] collaboration with the KMT.

Citing news reports from various media outlets between Friday last week and Monday, Chen said an unidentified high-ranking KMT official had been quoted as saying that “Tsai could face legal issues if she played a specific role in the case.”

“This seemed to us a sophisticatedly plotted political conspiracy … We want to identify who the official is and what the KMT’s motive is to politicize this case,” DPP spokesman Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) said.
[/quote]–Chris Wang and Amy Su, “2012 ELECTIONS: DPP says KMT inciting a ‘Watergate’”

According to the article, the DPP also sued Wu Den-yih’s wife for allegedly making false statements at a rally.

The article also has pics of three of the documents in question.

I’m far from convinced that the CEPD’s Christina Liu is the instigator of this attempt to discredit Tsai, or is anything more than an innocent agent in the whole affair. She isn’t even a member of the KMT, as far as I’m aware, but a member of the Non-Partisan Solidarity Union (having been a member of the PFP when she was a legislator).

She actually has a very similar background to Tsai, an academic whose economic expertise led to her being drawn into politics and government. They are very close in age, both obtained their doctorates at prestigious universities in the West, both speak excellent English, and both taught at universities before being recruited as government advisers and international negotiators. Besides teaching at NTU, Liu has also taught at the University of Chicago, the City University of New York, Australian National University, and the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

She is a highly capable and very hard working technocrat, who has done very well in steering Taiwan’s economic planning and development in the Ma administration. She is certainly not a KMT hack, or any of the things that DPP legislators have tried to demonize her as. But I fear she will be made the scapegoat in this affair and forced to resign, which will be a big loss for the government and for Taiwan’s economic governance.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]I’m far from convinced that the CEPD’s Christina Liu is the instigator of this attempt to discredit Tsai, or is anything more than an innocent agent in the whole affair. She isn’t even a member of the KMT, as far as I’m aware, but a member of the Non-Partisan Solidarity Union (having been a member of the PFP when she was a legislator).

She actually has a very similar background to Tsai, an academic whose economic expertise led to her being drawn into politics and government. They are very close in age, both obtained their doctorates at prestigious universities in the West, both speak excellent English, and both taught at universities before being recruited as government advisers and international negotiators. Besides teaching at NTU, Liu has also taught at the University of Chicago, the City University of New York, Australian National University, and the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

She is a highly capable and very hard working technocrat, who has done very well in steering Taiwan’s economic planning and development in the Ma administration. She is certainly not a KMT hack, or any of the things that DPP legislators have tried to demonize her as. But I fear she will be made the scapegoat in this affair and forced to resign, which will be a big loss for the government and for Taiwan’s economic governance.[/quote]

Yeah, and they called her a thug and all that. That was not wise. My fear is that they’ll get carried away and wind up looking like the other guys. I think Tsai ought to get all her people on track for talking about other things.

This is far too useful a stick to beat the KMT with. Of course, if the KMT dropped the subject the DPP might too. But they can’t let the KMT regain control of the media narrative and dismiss the DPP observations. People are fickle and after another news cycle they might be tricked into thinking Tsai really did do something wrong.

Are we citing the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections again here? Any stories you can dig up regarding the aftermath of those 2 elections only proves that no party or its supporters likes being cheated out of an election either through election fraud and/or manipulation by the current president by illegally releasing fake opinion polls within 10 days of the election as Lee Tung-Hui did in 2000 as KMT chairman.

To put violence into perspective in Taiwan’s elections, there was a well-known election that a Dangwai candidate (Kuo) who was widely believed to have been cheated (ballot fraud) by the KMT and his supporters wanted to break some things and charge into the Central Election Commission where the ballots were held. Democracy activists back then looking from the outside in were sometimes disappointed when Kuo chose not to get violent and instead told his supporters to calm down. He accepted getting cheated out of the election.

Several years later, with Lee having manipulated and cheated the DPP into power with a big smile on his face, the DPP utilizes the entire government structure to commit election fraud in 2004 and succeeds at using its administrative control to force a win by 29,000 ballots by rigging votes right in front of people at times, and some of these same “democracy activists” are critical of the protestors or rioters in front of the presidential office asking for an immediate recount by the Chen administration after reports of election fraud came in from all over the island.

At times Soong talked about charging the presidential office and he did not. A lot of people in the blue camp wanted to do it, but the U.S. came in and used delaying measures by tricking the KMT-PFP camp into waiting until May to recount the ballots where the crowds had already been dispersed by Taipei City Mayor Ma Ying-Jeou who also cancelled the large Pan Blue rally on March 19 in the name of keeping the peace. Yes, Ma and his people wanted Lien-Soong to lose so they could run in 2008. When the ballots were recounted just before the inauguration, the voter lists were finally made available and the fraud was clear to see by the lawyers and party staff and started to leak out to the media. But so what? The public couldn’t see them and the judiciary manipulated the pan blue lawyers into not releasing any more information to the media. This was a trick to protect the legitimacy of the CSB administration. Months later with Chen comfortably settled in the Presidential Office and Dr. Henry Lee’s report that said he actually did get shot in hand, the judges threw out the lawsuit case.

This is what I call winning in the opening, middle game, and endgame. Chen had the power, the guts, the smarts, and a great staff to help him pull it off and keep himself out of jail for at least another 4 years. Worked out great for Ma in '08 also.

But to address your post, the 2000 and 2004 election aftermath is just a group of people getting very angry and frustrated over getting cheated in various ways by Lee Tung-Hui and Chen Shui-Bian in '00 and '04 respectively. Those elections do not suggest that the KMT believes that only they have the right to control the ROC government.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Charlie Jack”][quote]Tens of thousands of protesters poured into the streets last night to join a symbolic “siege” of the Presidential Office as part of the anti-President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) movement aimed at ousting him.[/quote]Taipei Times,
September 16, 2006

[quote]Yu Chang Biologics Co was registered and established on
Sept. 5, 2007
, with Tsai as its chairperson. . . .[/quote]–Yesterday’s Taipei Times

If they want to beat the Kuomintang, they’re going to have to get smarter.[/quote]

What?[/quote]

I said, if they want to beat the Kuomintang, they’re going to have to get smarter.

In the Kuomintang’s view, it, and no one else, is the rightful owner of power here. In evidence of that, when they lose we see barely contained fury, punctuated by occasional episodes of incontinence:

But why should they engage in such counterproductive behavior when it seems the DPP can be counted on to provide them with a more acceptable approach?

The Red Shirt movement and all the hooraw connected with it should have been fresh in Tsai’s memory. She should have at least suspected they might be waiting for her.

I think the DPP is still weakened from the brutal beating it got in 2008. And regardless of what the opinion polls say (and who knows what they’ll say after this news), the KMT has a well-rooted patronage or patronage-like system in place that’s very helpful in winning elections. If the DPP wants to have any hope of winning, really winning, so that it can actually assume full policy-making power, it’s got to avoid doing anything that the KMT can substantially capitalize on.

:2cents:[/quote]

So those guys who attacked the Electoral Commission’s HQ weren’t KMT?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p … 570531.stm