Tsai Ing-Wen's "Shocking" "Exile Government" Statement

[quote=“urodacus”]open frank and informed discussion on this very matter has been quashed in Taiwan by the KMT since forever. School texts and lessons avoid it, gloss over it, or present the current situation as legally correct, thus brainwashing the population from the beginning. Anyone who dared discuss these matters in the 50s and 60s was sent to Green Island where they were maimed, tortured and executed, thus setting a strong example to others of just what the allowable discussion areas were. After some liberalisation of policies in the 80s, the KMT still controlled all the media, so there was again no discussion of it in the public arena. And the KMT still effectively own much of the media, not directly, but by proxy or by the political leanings of the scions of the party who became the eventual media owners in Taiwan. Journalists continue to self-censor themselves to avoid raising the issue. The KMT pillories, jeers at, and belittles any politician or commentator who has the ‘audacity’ and the balls to raise the issue, such as Tsai.

And then there’s the looming spectre of the big bully across the strait, passing their useless laws against secession - hard to secede from a country you are not part of, and totally irrelevant - useless laws that are used anyway by the KMT to keep their ducklings in line. The very same KMT that once fought tooth and nail against the CCP, but now emasculates the armed forces of Taiwan and engages in surreptitious ‘reunification by the back door’ arrangments such as the ECFA, business traveler visa arrangements for the moneyed descendants of the original diaspora, and diplomatic kow-towing in every literal sense of the word to the government in BeiPing.

Pussies.[/quote]

:bravo:

I totally agree with all that. I understand the KMT’s desire for reunification, but not with the CCP. I also understand that China applies a lot of pressure, but TW should seriously man up. TW people are way too passive about this.