TSMC’s U.S. Engineers Are “Babies” Say Taiwanese

They should just keep things in perspective. the goal is, over time, render taiwan meaningless and have it done there. Let the office pettiness distract everyone like a cheap drama on tv, job well done.

1 Like

So why wont bosses ever go home early?

1 Like

For some weird reason I like to hear Taiwanese people brag. They need to believe in themselves more.

1 Like

When I worked at a Taiwanese company, I was told the boss never left early or on time because he didn’t want to go back to his wife and children and that this is common here. To be fair, that particular boss didn’t ask us all to stay behind until he left, but the Taiwanese staff would stay behind anyway…

4 Likes

They give you free food though.

1 Like

Well, I still see the MRT get packed around 4-6pm so plenty of people must be going home on time…

3 Likes

I worked for senior leaders in high tech in Taiwan in the mid 2000s.
Filed numerous disclosures…very innovative and well compensated. The Yank engineers gotta meet them half way…BENQ comes to mind…culture eats innovation for breaky

1 Like

The man’s from Nantucket?

Probably just Google, and a handful of other companies. Most just give each wing a few boxes of donuts every Friday morning. I remember my last job in the US had a giant debate about whether they should charge for soft drinks in the break room, and management got their way.

1 Like

Let’s be real. North America has become entitled babies to the max. hard to deny it.

3 Likes

True, but if housing is part of their compensation and is chosen by TSMC, it might be a valid complaint.

2 Likes

To second jobs/buxiban/college/etc.

They see it as a “gift”, a perk. The visa benefits the worker, not them. Hence, it’ s the worker’s responsibility to get it, not them. Plus it is an extra cost. Why should the company pay for something that is for the employee?

That is why it is so hard to get companies here to hire foreigners, aside from the tax thinghy.

3 Likes

I do all my manufacturing in Taiwan because Taiwanese work culture is all business with none of the entitlement drama common in the West. The result is a hybrid business model with a Western manager providing strategy and problem-solving and Taiwanese engineers and factory workers implementing that strategy and those solutions. That seems to be the winning business model because the last twenty years have been a helluva fun – and lucrative – ride that would never have been possible in the West.

8 Likes

Morris Chang agrees with the hybrid business model:

> But TSMC founder Morris Chang considers the U.S. attempt to be relevant in chip manufacturing to be “a wasteful, expensive exercise in futility.” According to The Register, Morris spoke as a guest of the Brookings Institution think tank and stated that the U.S. does not have the talent pool necessary to create a thriving business in the states manufacturing chips.

Chang cited Taiwan’s large population that helped TSMC become the world’s top independent foundry. While the U.S. moved away from producing manufacturing professionals, Taiwan was loaded with talent. As we mentioned earlier in this story, where the U.S. does have the talent is in chip design, something that Morris isn’t shy about saying.

The 90-year-old Chang has high praise for the chip design talent in the U.S. calling it “the best in the world.” He adds that "Taiwan has very little design talent, and TSMC has absolutely none." As an independent foundry, TSMC wouldn’t be expected to produce its own designs since its job is to produce chips designed by other companies like Apple, Qualcomm, MediaTek, and more.

3 Likes

It all just reads like a bit of a static analysis to me. He is assuming no capacity of either labour force to evolve new skills. Surprised to see such pigeon hole thinking, wasn’t he educated at Harvard?

1 Like

perhaps being 90 has something to do with it?

just sounds like cheap jabs. I found it funny.

1 Like

Most of the large Silicon Valley firms do. Twitter, where my sister worked, for example, has a cafeteria where employees eat for free.

I guess you have to call it out before you create the change. Sad that in Taiwan only the elderly are ‘allowed’ to speak frankly like this.

1 Like

Is that at all true?

4 of the top 10 fabless design houses are Taiwanese.

I know a lot of those engineers are Indian dudes…

2 Likes