Tsunami

I live in a new community in Tuchen and even I have a bag of scotch and ready for the 16th floor

That was the thing I was asking about if it’s a joke… 9.0 meter?

That was the thing I was asking about if it’s a joke… 9.0 meter?[/quote]
Not sure exactly what he meant by that. It was an 8.9 quake, up to 10 meter waves in Japan. Won’t be nearly that high here.

They just said up to 1m waves on CNN, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see

Not sure exactly what he meant by that. It was an 8.9 quake, up to 10 meter waves in Japan. Won’t be nearly that high here.[/quote]

Yep, everyone was talking about 0.5m or something like that… that’s why I wonder if this is a joke…

BBC live coverage: bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle- … 7698#video

Not sure exactly what he meant by that. It was an 8.9 quake, up to 10 meter waves in Japan. Won’t be nearly that high here.[/quote]

Yep, everyone was talking about 0.5m or something like that… that’s why I wonder if this is a joke…[/quote]

Not a joke if you live on the coast!! But, the deep trench on the east coast provides a nice buffer for us. It also limits storm surge in a typhoon. Lucky for us or we would get hammered much more than we do.

9 quake and predicted to hit Taipei about now with massive tsunami waves
I missed Tailand by 10 days and the hotel I stayed at is now rubbish. Dont fool around with this! It may be just a wave but folks in Tailand learned a hard lesson

Froggers, I just noticed the extent of the warning reaches to Central and South America. Not another Chile, please! It’s 3am down there, when they wake up the news will not be pleasant.

Just saw a live report from Taipei that it’s not going to be a big deal, but ya never know if you can believe reporters…

I can send pics of friends that were washed to sea. Just be safe

From BBC: 1017: The authorities in Taiwan say there have been small evacuations, but no major damage and no unusual sea waves, the BBC’s Cindy Sui in Taipei reports.

Here in Taidong it was supposed to have passed an hour ago, but no sign of anything- classes cancelled, stores shut, but that’s it. I live about 1 km inland beside a very flat stream, and no sign of surge there- I wasn’t about to go to the beach to take a look!

I am so pleased that we missed the worst of this,
But . . . . . I warning is alway a good thing

Good: dodged a bullet. Hope none of the aftershocks catch us unaware now.

Yah, because they are going to be massive, 6 or 7 degrees, which is as big as the 921 Earthquake and perfectly capable of causing more tsunamis. Christ, watching that wave rolling across Japan does not make me want to risk going anywhere near a beach for the next while.

i guess the serious shit has passed so I can drink my scotch and Kava Kava in peace.
Glad you all are safe!

I was going to post earlier, but I have been a bit wet.

we had two waves, 18:05 and 18:15 or so, Japan time.

A massive 20 cm!

not so nice in the northern city of Sendai, though.

From the post that mentioned that we dodged a bullet; I agree. But many people in Japan are dead. For new folks on this site, we need to work together to keep us all safe. You do the same!
Sorry I alarmed folks needlessly but . . . .
Glad you all are safe

I think you were right to be alarmed, I sure was! Glad our scorpion friend on Okinawa is OK too.
Sorry for the folks in Japan that were not so lucky.