Tubular cycle tires

In my opinion, you should be fine as long as you stay on the road. Your front has 16, but the rear 24 spokes.
I have Vuelta SL37 on one of my bikes, and they have 12 spokes front, and only 16 in the rear. I am careful where I go with these, but they are holding up just fine, even in my previous yrs of 90+ kg.
The strength of modern wheels is coming from the higher rims, not so much the spokes (spokes help to keep them true though).
I had a full frontal hit on a 400kg concrete block last year, it did not damage the wheel, did not damage the carbon fork, but did fold the alloy frame from the momentum.
I did cut up the various parts afterwards, you will be amazed how strong it all is.

1 Like

Membrillo / silica.com thanks. Reduced psi from 90 to 80 on yesterday ride. A more normal feel without the “blade” sensation. Perceive more road bumps but probably psychological. Can’t get my head around reducing to 70psi so I’ll stay at 80 for a while. Thanks again.
Observations: iPhone/Gamin 315/ helmet mirror increases my safety while listening to music on earbuds. Better situation awareness. Recommend not using iPhone low power mode.

1 Like

Hmmm. Recommend not using earphones at all. Your ears are a much better pair of eyes than your eyes.

5 Likes

Ditto this.

$0.02 on tubular tires.

My son rides a 2004 Trek 2100 on Campagnolo Bora 2 wheels with 25c tubular tires. This second hand wheel set came with continental gator skins. After a couple punctures over the last two seasons, I followed my local shops recommendation to change to a Vittoria Corsa Control. I was asking for a faster rolling tire that would still provide good protection. The Control version of the tire offers a more protective casing. I had them mount them as they have experience. They have several customers who run tubulars on their race wheels for cyclocross each fall.

His flats ended rides, but I was able to deal with them at home by adding an ounce of tire sealant. I have it on hand for our mountain bikes. I have preemptively added sealant to the new Vittorias.

He runs 85f90r for pressure. He weighs 135lb.