Turin Olympics or Torino Olympics?

Turin Olympics or Torino Olympics?

dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/13839828.htm

Why do some newspapers and TV networks call it by one name and others by another name. Torino is the Italian word for Turin, no? Or is Torino a small village in the mountains near Turn?

Flunking geography.

QUOTE: Ralph Andreano, a globetrotting UW health economist of Italian ancestry, said this: “I think the world knows Turin as Turin, one of the industrial capitals of Italy. But Torino is often used by Italians, which is the Italian version of Turin. I, myself, have always thought of it as Turin, and I think most of the rest of Europe thinks of it that way. When you see a Fiat, home in Turin, you do not see on the nameplate: ‘Made in Torino.’ You see, ‘Made in Turin.’ By the way, when Turin is called Torino, it is spelled with an ‘o’ and not a ‘u,’ as in Turino. Got it? Now you are really screwed up, right?”

Actually, Andreano seemed to nail it pretty well, or at least he concurred with a winter sports Web site I found that addressed the question with a posting titled, “Winter Olympics: Turin, Turino, Torino?”

This site said that Turin is used by English speakers (who also say Florence, not “Firenze”), in part because international air tickets refer to the Turin International Airport. Yet the official airport name is Aeroporto Internazionale di Torino. “Torino is the correct pronunciation and spelling as far as the Italians are concerned,” the site notes.]

Torino is the Italian name, yes. Not a village at all.

So you say it’s called Turin in English? Gotta remember that.

two different news sites:

Torino Olympics bans anorexic ski jumpers

CalorieLab Calorie Counter News, NV - 3 hours ago
… jumpers who attempt to improve their performance by excessively reducing their body weight will not be allow to participate in the 2006 Torino Winter Olympics …

Freestyle skier Heil wins gold medal at Turin Olympics

SLAM! Sports, Canada - 10 hours ago
… Heil just missed a medal at the 2002 Winter Olympics, finishing a scant one-100th … held at the winter resort of Sportinia, about 83 kilometres from Turin in the …

So is ROME now called ROMA? and is Florence now called FIRENZE in English newspapers? When did all this happen? Torino? Turin?

madison.com/tct/news/index.p … 42&ntpid=0

and

Two more examples:

In Torino/Turin, we’re having a Mole/Heap of fun

Deseret News, UT - 3 hours ago
… Maybe the Olympics will change all that. … From now on, people will flock to Torino, or Turin

[quote=“Notsu”]Torino is the Italian name, yes. Not a village at all.

So you say it’s called Turin in English? Gotta remember that.[/quote]

The final word.

TURIN OR TORINO?

The Houston Chronicle newspaper, editorial:

TURIN, ITALY - Or is it Torino? Actually, it’s both.

And you will see it both ways in the Chronicle. The Games will be referred to as “Torino 2006,” the official name of the Olympics. The city will be “Turin,” in accordance with Associated Press style.

The Associated Press refers to cities by the English translation, which in this case is “Turin.”

For instance, it’s Rome, not Roma. Munich, not Muenchen. Moscow, not Mockba or Moskva. So in this case, it’s Turin, not Torino.

But on TV, in photos and logos referring to the Games, you will see it as “Torino 2006,” because that is the official name, and the International Olympic Committee refers to the city by its Italian name.

So enjoy our coverage of the Torino 2006 Games in Turin, Italy.

[quote=“Cola”] But on TV, in photos and logos referring to the Games, you will see it as “Torino 2006,” because that is the official name, and the International Olympic Committee refers to the city by its Italian name.

So enjoy our coverage of the Torino 2006 Games in Turin, Italy.[/quote]

I’ll enjoy it live… from TURINO