Turkey - a safe place for a vacation?

Tbh London sounds scarier with knife and acid attacks.

1 Like

If in doubt, as they say

The US State Deparment also advises US citizens to “exercise increased caution” (level 2) in countries including Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands because of terrorist threat, which is absolutely laughable considering how much more likely US citizens could be shot dead at home watching tv.

According to Taiwan’s MOFA advisory, Turkey’s caution level is the same as Australia’s (yellow). According to Canada’s advisory it’s the same as France and UK. Food for thought.

1 Like

It’s hard to believe turkey is as risky as Australia. Do they count random kangaroos attacking along with all the other animals that can kill you there?

1 Like

Well the advisory on Australia is obviously hyperbole, but the point is Turkey is fine to visit. If you google Turkey and travel in Chinese you’d see countless blog posts about Turkey from TWese ppl (many of them girls) who’ve been there.

To me it just sounds like any less developed country. Exercise some healthy amount of awareness and use basic common sense and you should be fine. We probably won’t be doing any too adventurous and will just enjoy nice restaurants and major tourist sites. Keep embassy emergency number on hand and know where the embassy/consulate is, but you should really do that anywhere you travel to as a foreigner.

1 Like

I’m going to stick with what I wrote.

I would definitely take the US State Department’s warnings over random internet opinions that differ. Any American is well-advised to check with State’s travel website before visiting any foreign country, including Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands - even the UK.

State’s travel warnings may not factor in your final decision, but if you’re a US citizen it’s a good idea to check with them anyway.

yeah they might as well say, if you is a yank you is gonna get shit where ever you go so just stay home and polish the old fire sticks. :crazy_face:

It’s not awkward, it’s dangerous.

I’ve always wanted to visit Istanbul. If you travel frequently, you should be fine. Be aware of your surroundings.

Keep in mind that US State Department travel advisories tend to err strongly on the side of caution.

Why would you want to go to Turkey when you clearly hate Malaysia so much. I’ve been to both, and probably won’t be going to either again if I can avoid it.

It’s dangerous to hitchhike in Taiwan? Maybe at night, but I don’t think it’d be dangerous in the day.

Why at night?

It just doesn’t sound like a good idea to hitchhike in the dark where ever u go.

Why is it different to hitchhiking in the daylight?

There’s usually more traffic in the day than at midnight, for one.

Unless you had a fluorescent thumb, it probably wouldn’t be very effective.

I suppose there would be an increased chance of getting hit by a vehicle.

Are you kidding? Standing by the side of the road is always dangerous in Taiwan.

3 Likes

don’t know if this has been mentioned, but good advice when in Turkey is to NOT say anything about NBA or player Enes Kanter. Google and you’ll read why.