Turning a "hobby" into a legitimate business

I’ve been selling jewelry online for the last 3.5 years, primarily to customers and a few small boutiques in N. America. It started very simply, basically wanting to test the market and see if anyone liked what I was offering.

I’m now making all the jewelry myself and doing more wholesaling. 99% of my sales are from outside Taiwan, over the internet. I ship using the local postal service. I’m now at the point where I feel like I need to become a legitimate business with a proper business license, etc, but I’m not a Taiwanese citizen, just married to a dual citizen.

I have no interest in incorporating. I am not at all interested in making this a full time job. I only want to start working with a rep in the states who will do my selling for me so that I can just concentrate on making the stuff and shipping it, and possibly finding someone to do this for me.

My inlaws have a corporation in place already. Can I/we/they simply get a dba for me? What does this cost? (I know we’d ask their atty to do this but I want to have an idea)

What does a simple wholesale/retail license cost if I don’t go the family corp. route? and how easy is it to get one?

Is an export license required here?

I keep track (in my own chaotic way) of components and inventory so I figured I’d turn everything over to the accountant to set up a proper accounting system.

What about product liability insurance? Is this required/recommended?

Do Fedex and other couriers require a business license to ship product out of the country?

Thanks for any information.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]Do Fedex and other couriers require a business license to ship product out of the country?
Thanks for any information.[/quote]
No, their only concerns are the legality of your items, weights of packages and if they are packed correctly for shipping.