Tutoring accent reduction

I’ve been here teaching English for a year here but am hoping to transition towards something that takes advantage of my usual skill set. I moved here from LA after training and working in the performing arts for 16 years and coaching actors for a few years as well. As I’ve been teaching here I’ve noticed I love working with the students on proper pronunciation and developing the ability to express themselves better through speaking.

My question is, are there any sort of specific schools or training facilities that work with teaching accent reduction and speech clarity? A lot of my vocal training worked with muscle exercises that specifically develop certain articulation muscles in order to maximize effective communication.

Does anyone know of a place like this I could apply to? Or should I just try to freelance as a tutor?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I had a friend who was an accent trainer in Taiwan (gone now). He was freelance and as far as I’m aware he built up his clients by marketing himself as a specialized English tutor since he had a background in linguistics. It’s definitely doable both private/freelance as well as at fancier schools.

1 Like

Fantastic. Thank you for the feedback!