Tutors Needed in the US - Get Rich!

I’m posting this in the Teaching English in Taiwan forum because it’s about tutoring in the US, which also happens to be the business many of you here are in as well.

On the evidence I’ve seen in this forum, many of you are very good teachers. I’m consistently amazed by all the talent on display here since my few attempts at teaching others were largely inept. (problem is that I don’t give a damn if my student doesn’t “get it,” fwiw: I’m an awful teacher)

If you’re also ambitious, then you might be interested in this trend. It looks as if there may be a lucrative lining on what some might call the cloud of the Bush presidency: largely unregulated attempts to make the No Child Left Behind Act work (read “profitable”, largely because, according to the article, “There’s a requirement in No Child Left Behind that teachers must be highly qualified, but they didn’t apply those same standards to supplemental service providers.”).

[quote=“The New York Times”]
A Lucrative Brand of Tutoring Grows Unchecked

…Tutors are paid as much as $1,997 per child, and companies eager to get a piece of the lucrative business have offered parents computers and gift certificates as inducements to sign up, provided tutors that in some cases are still in high school, and at times made promises they cannot deliver. …“The potential here is unbelievable, and it’s not being regulated by the states or the Education Department,” said Patty Sullivan, the director of the Center on Education Policy, a Washington-based research group that released a study in late March examining the tutoring programs. “We’re pouring a lot of money into it, and we’re not sure it works. To the extent that it is going to grow, we’ve got to get a handle on it.”

nytimes.com/2005/04/04/educa … gewanted=2[/quote]

Tutoring 30 kids would mean knocking on the door of US$60,000 in gross revenue! If good teachers get in this game early, then it could be a cash cow for some time to come, it seems to me. :slight_smile: