TV suddenly doesn't work

I am wondering what to do.

I was just watching TV and the screen went black. My guess is that maybe it overheated and the LCD display went or something like that.

This isn’t my fault I didn’t knock it or spill anything on it just watched TV. The TV looks new and still has the wrapping on it.

I don’t use the TV much and could live without it I guess but I think I need to tell the landlord because when I leave eventually he will of course know and it will look like I hid the problem.

The issue is I don’t want to be charged for this when I haven’t done anything wrong.

Is this my responsibility?

It may be under warranty if it has the wrapping on. Tell him so he can exchange it.

I did think that too. I hope that is the case

I did think that too. I hope that is the case[/quote]
I had the same issue with a large Chimei TV. (Due to the fact that they are sh*t :slight_smile: ) It was under warranty and they came and did the work for free.Any paperwork for it?
TV repairs (unless due to damage) should be sorted out by the Landlord I would have thought.

Try hitting it.

Don’t think that is a good idea if I do some damage then it is my fault!

I did think that too. I hope that is the case[/quote]
I had the same issue with a large Chimei TV. (Due to the fact that they are sh*t :slight_smile: ) It was under warranty and they came and did the work for free.Any paperwork for it?
TV repairs (unless due to damage) should be sorted out by the Landlord I would have thought.[/quote]

I have a large Chimei PC monitor (also sh*t) with the same symptoms.

Hitting it certainly helps.

The landlord gave me a number for a technician. I called them and if they come they will charge me 300 nt just to look.

I am sure this isn’t my responsibility so I asked the landlord if he wanted the person to come and if so then the landlord will be charged 300nt.

Not looking good at the moment!

[quote=“GiantDave”]The landlord gave me a number for a technician. I called them and if they come they will charge me 300 nt just to look.

I am sure this isn’t my responsibility so I asked the landlord if he wanted the person to come and if so then the landlord will be charged 300nt.

Not looking good at the moment![/quote]
I would have presumed that if you rented the place with a working TV, that it would be part of the Contract? You may not have rented the place without one.
they normally list every item (in effect you are renting) included in the House,in case of damage. IF it’s included then the Landlord should get it working. Unless you have a lousy Landlord. Suggest that you get it fixed and take the cost out of next months rent payment…may seem less of a pain for him.

Doesn’t work these days. It used to work, back in the days when TVs had actual mechanical contacts between valve pins and their sockets, and lots of moving parts (variable capacitors and resistors, AKA twiddly knobs). Technology these days sucks.

Sounds to me like the landlord is just waiting to see if you’ll fix it and pay for it. Personally I would just tell the landlord what you’re going to do, ie., call the repair guy and deduct it from the rent, as the poster above suggested. Then just do it. More than likely it’ll be a faulty power supply or backlight driver, and it’ll cost a couple thousand NT$ for a replacement board. However, if it’s a small, cheap TV (around 20") it will probably be cheaper to just buy a new one.

Personally I would just tell the landlord what you’re going to do, ie., call the repair guy and deduct it from the rent, as the poster above suggested. Then just do it. .[/quote]
I hope you are Man enough to stand up to the Landlord…otherwise we will have to refer to you as “the poster above” in the future. :no-no:

Yeah we got it to 300 nt out the next electricity bill and the guy will come tomorrow so not too bad.

I hope you are Man enough to stand up to the Landlord…otherwise we will have to refer to you as “the poster above” in the future. :no-no:[/quote]

:stinkyface:

It usually works for me when stuff breaks. As long as the cost isn’t outrageous, my landlords have always been happy enough to stump up the money for minor repairs. I try to be fair about it though - like, I just fixed and repainted a hole in the ceiling (where the plaster fell out). Cost me about NT$250, but I get a lot of goodwill back. My point was, landlords (in my experience) don’t mind spending a little bit of money, but they can’t be bothered with doing stuff.

Normally people unwrap TV’s before using it …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Normally people unwrap TV’s before using it …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4[/quote]

haha I mean the plastic around the side I don’t know why! My laptop still has the keyboard cover 6 months in!