TV tuner boxes for VGA screens - PAL compatibility

Hi,

does anyone use a TV tuner box that is both PAL and NTSC compatible? Picture-in-picture (PIP) is also a feature I need. And it must have an analog RGB input for my DVD player.

I tried a box from AVerMedia (圓剛) which is excellent, but the PAL quality is bad (when I watch PAL DVDs). It handles NTSC perfectly though.

Does someone use the brand “Upmost”?
Any others that are good?

Regards,
E.

[quote=“Ectoplasma”]I tried a box from AVerMedia (圓剛) which is excellent, but the PAL quality is bad (when I watch PAL DVDs). It handles NTSC perfectly though.[/quote]Might your DVD player be converting the DVD from PAL to NTSC ? That will probably reduce the quality. Check your DVD player menus for a NTSC/PAL/AUTO option. You want AUTO so it produces a signal matching your DVD.

… or it might just be rubbish at PAL. PAL is higher resolution so it should look ok…

Hi Big Fluffy Matthew, no, I’m sure it sends out PAL when the disc is PAL; my player has no such option.

I tried another tuner box (the brand ‘PX’, I think it was) which actually handled PAL without problems. But it had real crappy computer screen output, and it had no RGB inputs for the DVD player. So I’m just looking for that one box that has it all right… :s

And yeah, PAL is just a bit better because it’s higher resolution. My player can also play DivX, which are mostly PAL for that reason.

Big Fluffy Matthew,

on closer inspection, my player does have the setting… :blush:
it’s just not in the settings menu… I took the manual, and found it.

I just tried a few PAL discs, and, problem solved ! My player will now always output NTSC, converting when needed… (NTSC is the standard in Taiwan, that’s why the hardware you buy here might not (fully) support PAL)

Thanks so much B.F. Matthew, this problem was causing me sleepless nights !!!