TV Tuner Card

Hi all,

I am coming from New Zealand and I have a TV tuner card in my computer which I use with media centre. Can anyone tell me if this will work in Taiwan aswell? Or will I need to buy another tuner card there which is compatible with the local system?

Regards
Matt

The card should work.
The programs and stuff to get TV listings will not.

[quote=“Chicken”]The card should work.[/quote]No neccessarily. NZ uses PAL while Taiwan uses NTSC. And the cable’s bound to be on different frequencies. It depends on the card and whether there are options for those things.

Some cards are both NTSC & PAL but OP would have to check the card’s specs.

This is the card:

hauppauge.com/pages/products … 50mce.html

I have MCE installed… i’m wondering if I will be able to just plug the antenna in and see if it works! ??

Also does anyone know if there is an EPG or Taiwan EPG hack available? In NZ there is a way to do it… the networks are just so damn protective of their program listings its pathetic…

[quote=“momo21”]This is the card:

hauppauge.com/pages/products … 50mce.html

I have MCE installed… i’m wondering if I will be able to just plug the antenna in and see if it works! ??[/quote]If you only have an antenna you won’t find anything worth watching on the 4 terrestial channels, you’ll need cable.
According to the instructions you can select the country you’re in from the “Tuner Setup” so you should be ok if you change that to Taiwan.

there is no EPG in taiwan. locals dont care about these things and watch mostly pathetic news all the time… microsoft has launched one but i doubt it is maintained. the only real EPG in taiwan is from TGC (TIVO) but it cant be hacked since you need the hardware and subscription to get the thing.
i think your card wont work here unless it is actually the ntsc version. you’ll be able to get a new decent (non h/w encoding) card for far less than 1000nt…

[quote=“5566”]i think your card wont work here unless it is actually the ntsc version. you’ll be able to get a new decent (non h/w encoding) card for far less than 1000nt…[/quote]According to the instructions wot I red from his link, it can be set to NTSC, and the cable frequencies can be set to Taiwan, but yes, he might have a PAL only version or something.

Wouldn’t the EPG be in all Chinese anyway ? And everything has chinese translations that bear no relationship to the English so wouldn’t know what they are even if you can read Chinese.

yes, the tivo epg is all in chinese but names for movies on hbo, cinemax,… are usually in english as well. i assume the ms epg must be entirely in chinese too. we are in taiwan after all… why would one complain about it? if you are still at the stage where you can read 2 from 5 characters, sure that epg wont help much and you can keep watching satellite tv.

that requires… experience :smiley:

i got a tivo a couple of weeks ago and i have to admit it is an amazing device. we don’t watch live tv anymore. again, for the reasons mentioned above, i would not recommend it to those who suck at chinese…

Thanks for all the good advice there… I will take the card and just see if it works. If it doesn’t I don’t mind getting a new one.
If there is no EpG i’m not worried too much either, I don’t happen to read Chinese anyway… I have just loved the experience of using it here in NZ!

Hey. I’m not going to Taiwan to watch TV. wake up matt.