TV with better signals

Recently bought a 42 inch LED and wondering if it is worth to upgrade
to these “HD” programs ?
We are currently on a cable contract, paying 2.980 NT$ for 6 months.
Are there other cable TV companies or does the “one” we have a contract
with have a monopoly on the TV market ?

I honestly never cared about “TV” my entire time here, so I am really
not into this …
Sorry, to ask, but what actually is “MOD” ?
And is it true, that “MOD” does not have CNN as a programme ?

What kind of possibilities are out there to upgrade our current
deal towards a better signal.

As far as I know the basic signal for TV output is 640x480, right ?
What resolution is this “HD” thing, 720p, 1080p or 1280p ?

Maybe someone can help me out here. I was at a local shop today,
but my chinese is by far not good enough to understand the whole thing

[quote=“MoTi”]Recently bought a 42 inch LED and wondering if it is worth to upgrade
to these “HD” programs ?
We are currently on a cable contract, paying 2.980 NT$ for 6 months.
Are there other cable TV companies or does the “one” we have a contract
with have a monopoly on the TV market ?

I honestly never cared about “TV” my entire time here, so I am really
not into this …
Sorry, to ask, but what actually is “MOD” ?
And is it true, that “MOD” does not have CNN as a programme ?

What kind of possibilities are out there to upgrade our current
deal towards a better signal.

As far as I know the basic signal for TV output is 640x480, right ?

What resolution is this “HD” thing, 720p, 1080p or 1280p ?

Maybe someone can help me out here. I was at a local shop today,
but my chinese is by far not good enough to understand the whole thing[/quote]

Check if http://www.kbro.com.tw/mso_index.aspx?B=1 serves your area or some partner or whatever. They have the normal 110 or so cable channels they all providers have. We’re paying something like you, under NT$500 per month. Starting on Jan. 1 this year they went to HD. And because of that, they are giving like 30+ channels (HBO Hits HD, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, Euro Sport HD, Asia Sports Network HD, History Channel HD and a crapload of good others) at HD for free for 3 months. They’re using us and other subscribers as guinea pigs for their new set-top boxes to work out the kinks. After 3 months, only pay like NT$90+ for all those extra channels. So far, seems worth it once the freebie trial period is over.

MOD is Mobile on Demand offered by Chung Hwa Telecom. Can check http://mod.cht.com.tw/ for channels or have your local friends help you out. MOD does not have a lot of the channels that your normal cable TV operator carries. Even does not carry all those local Chinese news channels (which my Taiwanese wife loves, so would not like to be without). However, CHT does have some good deals with bringing together MOD and your Internet connection for one fee as fast speeds. They have all kinds of deals for what speed you want on the Internet side of things.

Stick with your cable TV and forget about MOD. If you want something else to watch, grab a Netflix yearly account and have access to a bunch of movies you can watching by streaming to your TV. Only costs $30 USD for a yearly membership and you’ll get more value out of that than what MOD costs and the tripe they give you.

Stick with your MOD and forget about Cable! That’s my advice.

We have Discovery *4 channels, lots of news channels, BBC * 3, plus everything else. The only thing we don’t have is HBO, but MOD is now a major player in the cable market here, and probably already has a deal with HBO for its cable services elsewhere on the island. The number of people in our community subscribing to regular cable has dropped drastically as MOD has become more mature. The sports channels are improving a lot, too.

Kenneth

Agree with the pro-MOD gang. We pay under 400 NTD/month for MOD. Our cable would have cost us over 600…

HD does look a lot nicer than normal cable on a widescreen TV. We had an other digital TV company before we moved, but they were more expensive, and we got locked into a 2-year contract.

We use this: bbtv.tw/products/bbtv_en.php

60mbps internet + media on demand. 850nt p/m.

Does Netflix work here, without trying to use a proxy/VPN? I had the impression you needed to use Witopia or something similar to make Netflix work, but I haven’t researched this in a while.

You will need a proxy, but at $2 USD a month for the proxy or VPN I think it is very reasonable (DIY setup, so only costs $25 a year compared to Witopia’s $49.99).

We don’t do cable. The main reason isn’t the cost, but because there are now so many advertisements on it that I find it almost unbearable. Just hate watching a movie and when you get to the most interesting part, the commercials start coming thick and fast, and get repeated - you see the same advert 10 times (or more) during the course of the movie. Ruins it for me. Of course, it’s great if you’ve got diarrhea or something and thus need frequent bathroom breaks.

Most of the foreigners here won’t be too interested in this, but ever since the government dumped analog broadcasting and went 100% digital for through-the-air broadcasting, there has been a big improvement. We don’t have cable, just through-the-air digital. Right now it’s up to 20 channels, about half of which are broadcast in HD. But almost nothing in English. If, like me, you’ve mainly go the TV to keep the Taiwanese wife happy, this works. I do have a stack of DVDs for when we want to watch something together, but I know that DVDs are are dying technology as everything is moving to the Internet.