TW Desktop prebuilds w/3080: Without a ripoff price?

So the best way to score a 3080 is if you want to get a prebuilt rig. Mine is getting old, so this makes sense (plus, I can sell my old rig while it still runs and has value). In USA, $2500 USD will get you a beast of a PC with a 3080, for example.

I bet the $2000+ desktops have free international shipping, but it would be cool if it was from somewhere local in case I had issues. Where can I look for pre-built desktops that have a decent price?

For example, in Taiwan, I always notice sneaky (and downright embarrassing) things like having only 8gb of ram, or a $2500 desktop having a crap 500gb ssd instead of like a 2tb m2. There’s always something that “doesn’t match the price”. Also, places like GuangHua charge a big fat fee for using a credit card, as if you have 65k NTD conveniently in your pocket.

However, I want to give Taiwan tech folks the benefit of the doubt - perhaps I’m looking at the wrong places. Advise?

@Marco can give you good advice

When you custom build at stores, you can decide what stuff goes in. Some just sell you all the parts and you can build it yourself.

I know a guy who is very good at building PCs, he can hook you up. I built my own but my cable management skills just aint the same as his

Custom build usually doesn’t get ya RTX 3080 discounts, though ~ usually only the prebuilds get that. I usually build my own. Hmm…

You can get it. Just need to know where. I mentioned Marco knows the stores very well in Taipei.

I was able to get 3070ti on launch day for MSRP using custom build order. I just got all the parts and built it myself. Most places were sold out or marked 3070ti up considerably.
It is difficult to get a good price since GPU’s are in high demand. With bundling you can get a reasonable offer.

2 Likes

I can help more easily when I am back in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Nice - I build my own PCs all the time, but if a custom order through a third party for a full pc build will help with 3080 discounts, I’m interested. Let me know when you’re back.

There’s a new 3080 with higher VRAM coming out in likely Feb, maybe it’ll be easier to snatch a new one if you have preorder connections. I’m fine to wait for the good stuff.

1 Like

The day before New Year’s Eve is when I am released from quarantine. So…January if that’s OK with you. Then I can make calls and pounce on deals if needed.

I call it New Year’s Eve’s Eve.

1 Like

So is this GPU shortage going to be the new normal? I’m worried about my GPU going to GPU heaven and I won’t have money to replace it.

And what happens if production ever catches up? Will GPU prices instantly crash?

When everything moves to PoS and the shit coins all die things will be normal.

1 Like

Most of the company bigwigs say they expect production to catch up by the end of next year. I’d add another year to that.

Then why even bother having to pay 500USD for a 1050ti??

Why not just buy a PS5 or Xbox series X??

I mean GPU prices are already absurd and you can buy a PS5 for the price of a 1050ti, and 1050ti is not even that great of a GPU.

Well I’m in the uk, but prices here for ps5s have only just come back down to retail. The scalpers have run out of mugs it seems. GPU prices here don’t seem too bad. As others have suggested, you need to get creative with your sourcing, or just bend over.

Anyone know the deal with laptops? Online the prices are astronomical, higher than anything you’d find in the US. I’ve heard there’s some wiggle room for haggling in gonghua?

There’s some pretty nice recent models from Asus I’m interested in

Well you can’t mine cryptocurrency with a ps5… so they’re useless for that.

Whole GPU price is getting out of hand over crypto…

For laptops, hands down get it from Amazon. Even if you have to reship it from a forwarding address, it’ll still be worth it for both money saved AND higher specs. Taiwan will give you 4gb ram for a $2000 USD laptop :joy:

1 Like

Check out this and under VGA:
https://www.coolpc.com.tw/evaluate.php

This shop is all over Guang Hua and I find they are one of the cheapest places to get most hardware. They can also assemble a system for you.

I recently built a system by buying the parts wherever they were cheapest, and many of the parts came from this shop. I still had an old VGA though (2060 Super, more expensive now than when I bought it).

2 Likes