TW fishing boat attacked close to the Philippines, Part II

i cant believe that the pcg would believe their story that a small unarmed fishing boat would intentionally ram their big heavy metal coast guard ship especially with personnel carrying those kinds of weapons. yea right. :unamused:

There will be no agreement for the foreseeable future Tommy.

The Philippines will not sign an agreement that allows Taiwan fishing boats to fish right up to the Philippine coast, and if Taiwan signs an agreement that makes the boundary the mid point, they will look like the worst negotiators of all time.

I think the Taiwanese are way too close to the Philippine shores myself. An agreement is good because it draws up boundaries. IF its the centerline, great. Its an agreement both parties can abide by.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/312688/news/nation/de-lima-nbi-recommended-raps-vs-pcg-in-shooting-of-taiwanese-fisherman

The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources officer who ordered the shooting should be punished the most.

My “favorite” title so far:

:doh:

OTOH, we are having Taiwan/Philippines fishery talks… sigh

they are currently having “pre-meeting meetings”

China’s working hard to bully the Philippines to not conduct fishing talks.

‘Fishing talks between PH, Taiwan may violate ‘one-China’ policy’
globalnation.inquirer.net/77809/ … ina-policy

Beijing warns PH on talks with Taipei
globalnation.inquirer.net/77963/ … ith-taipei

It’s great that Beijing is forcing neighbouring nations to make nice with Taiwan by being such a giant douche.

Filipino fishing groups against fishing deal, because they don’t have the capability to harvest their EEZ but Taiwanese could. And again, mixing EEZ with territorial waters.
manilastandardtoday.com/2013/06/ … rs-taiwan/

i think the philippines govt is stupid by constantly citing the “one china” policy and forcing taiwan - a fellow democratic country - to side with china. so the filipinos really want china to get stronger by giving them taiwan to control when the philippines is having their own problems fighting off the chinese from encroaching in their own territory? china controlling taiwan is basically giving china what she wants - to control the entire south china seas. and asia pacific region as a whole. duh. :loco:

Poor Aquino…

philstar.com/headlines/2013/ … illing-pcg

Apparently Taiwan is tired of waiting for Aguino to finish reading reports that were sent to his desk a month ago. The real explanation for the delay might not really be Aguino’s reading speed, but that conclusions from both sides differ by a mile. Taiwanese probe’s conclusion is that the PCG involved deliberately set out to kill, while the NBI probably recommended for “exceeding justifiable self-defense actions.”

anc.abs-cbnnews.com/articles/181 … ld-you-so/

Editorial from a controversial man no doubt…

Philippine’s reply:
10 or 8 facing homicide charges and not murder charges. They still maintains it was not on purpose even though it wasn’t out of self-defense. 4 of them are facing charges for tampering with evidence.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/breaking-news/2013/08/07/10-coast-guard-men-liable-taiwanese-fisherman-s-death-296578

This is probably the conclusion that will keep the drama going

I don’t know what the terminology is in the Philippines, but I don’t see a difference between homicide and murder…

Same here. I found this on Yahoo but I’ll ask some lawyer friends in Manila if they can shed some light - voices.yahoo.com/homicide-vs-mur … 95749.html If I learn anything beyond this, I’ll post it here

Murder = intent to kill.

Homicide, or negligent homicide = lack of common sense and reckless endangerment that results in death.

Someone drink driving, in some places might be charged with homicide if they kill someone. Then of course there is manslaughter. I would suggest, different places have different terms, each reflecting the degree of intent, premeditation, lack of concern for safty and they vary from place to place.

yea i they think it’s more homicide than murder. they were recklessly shooting at the boat trying to make it stop, maybe to scare them too, not thinking they would kill anyone. but who really knows.

Things get more interesting because now Taiwan has allowed fishing boats to hire Armed Security guards (non govt) aboard its vessels.

Future events such as this will result in exchange of gunfire. And not just one heavily armed coast guard vessel shooting at a sitting duck.

what’s to regulate these “armed fishing fleets” from becoming pirates themselves?

I was thinking yesterday that if there were ever a governmental collapse and power vacuum in Taiwan, it could very well become a pirate den, especially with dwindling fish supplies in nearby waters. And it’s not like Taiwan is a stranger to pirates…