TW fishing boat attacked close to the Philippines

sunstar.com.ph/breaking-news … act-281723

phil side claiming they fired “in self defense” after being rammed by taiwan boat.

somehow i doubt that story holds water.

considering there was no evidence that the boat hit anything and 30 shots isn’t “self defense”. The only justification for shooting that much is if the TW fishermen shot back, and there would have been bullet holes in the coast guard vessel as well. Also why the heck would such a small boat try and ram a much larger coast guard vessel?

Agreed. If these are all the facts then it’s pretty outrageous.

lol @ free dropbox.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”][quote=“ucla bruin”]Last I heard was Philipines claimed they apologized but TW said no such thing. Is that the latest?

Either way, makes zero sense for the Filipino coast guard to fire 32 (!) shots at unarmed TW civilian boat.[/quote]

They did “apologize” but the TW government wasn’t satisfied with the apology because they weren’t taking any action on the matter. Also the government itself (it was the ambassador who offered the “apology”) did not acknowledge the apology.[/quote]

The ‘ambassador’ to Taiwan went with the Taiwanese foreign minister to the family’s home and apologized in person.

abs-cbnnews.com/nation/05/12 … -fisherman

The secretary of state Lin Yun-Le 林永樂 went with Mr. Antonio Basilio 白熙禮 (awesome phonetic transcription by the way) to see the families of the deceased. When he heard that Manila insisted that itself was the apology Secrertary Lin said “hell no,” or something to that effect.

Mr. Antonio Basilio said “sorry for the lost of your husband.” It’s the same thing said by the coast guard dude. It isn’t an exactly apology over their actions.

By the way, apparently Mr. Basilio doesn’t speak Mandarin or Taiwanese despite having been in Taiwan for a really long time. So the Secretary of State was there to translate and greet the families for Mr. Basilio. It’s really weird… it’s like the secretary of state of Taiwan is Mr. Basilio’s personal translator. Apparently when the Philippines Coast Guard kill one and fatally wounded another on a Taiwanese fishing boat 滿春億號 over the Bashi Channel back in 2006, Mr. Basilio did the same thing and had the Secretary of State back then to translate for him as well.

An official apology should be issued by Manila to the victim’s family and to Taiwan. But since they are running a election over there, I suspect nothing will be official until the election is over.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“urodacus”]and this is another shot of the TW vessel in question.

My God that’s an ugly boat. It is of a similar size, and has a nice harpoon nose! Probably made of concrete, so ramming would not be out of the question as a tactic.[/quote]

a bulbous bow is for reducing drag and be more fuel efficient. I think filling it with concrete would be counter intuitive…

by the way, these two ship would only be of similar size if a Honda Civic is of similar size to a BMW M5.[/quote]

Yes, I am aware of the purpose of the nose. Some people have no sense of humour!

The boat is quite likely a ferroconcrete construction (the whole boat, not the nose).

and Yes, a Civic and a BMW 5 series are similar in size: their sizes are of the same order of magnitude. Now, a kayak and that fishing boat are different sizes, as are that fishing boat and a tanker, or an aircraft carrier.

[quote=“urodacus”]

and Yes, a Civic and a BMW 5 series are similar in size: their sizes are of the same order of magnitude. Now, a kayak and that fishing boat are different sizes, as are that fishing boat and a tanker, or an aircraft carrier.[/quote]

fine, if you consider all sedans are of similar size, but no sane person would try to ram an M5 with a civic.

Quite, but there’s an almost guaranteed correlation between the way Taiwanese fishermen drive Honda civics and the way they drive their boats and sanity doesn’t enter into it, making that scenario entirely conceivable. Swaggering into disputed waters acting tough and being as borderline confrontational as the passive aggressive norms of Taiwanese napoleon complex fueled faux bravado allows, at least right up to the point that shit gets real, certainly does fit the MO.

for the last 10 years there have been 22 similar incidents but this one is the first time for killing tw fishermen.

a few times they took and held the fishermen and their boats and requested money…what’s that about?

This morning Basilio went back to PH without telling TW. such bad altitudes from PH huh?

So PH killed someone and Ma demanded an official apology on the 3rd day, asking for an official apology within 3 days. So Ma basically is asking for an apology six days after they got shot. pretty slow.

I heard that there were some sea territorial dispute between China and PH few months ago, then eventually PH backed out and admitted that it’s China’s territory. But they were not happy about that so they caused this incident.

how about I don’t see any news about this on CNN? searched yesterday and today and there are nothing.

Also searched here and there was nothing at first, but then ran into this thread by accident. It’s Philippines not Phillippines

Ramming the PCG boat my ass. Who in their right mind ram a 15ton Fiber Reinforced Plastic fishing boat into a 90ton steel PCG boat?

Bravado? Oh Please, don’t mix Taiwanese fishermen with the trigger happy US Military or Filipino coast guard.

[quote=“Maxxis”]Ramming the PCG boat my ass. Who in their right mind ram a 15ton Fiber Reinforced Plastic fishing boat into a 90ton steel PCG boat?

Bravado? Oh Please, don’t mix Taiwanese fishermen with the trigger happy US Military or Filipino coast guard.[/quote]

Not to mention that boat looks pretty good from having supposedly rammed the coast guard boat. Normally the whole bow section would have been totaled. If Philippines insist that their boat was rammed why not produce evidence? If that boat was made of concrete/steel (and who in the right mind would make a fishing boat that way?) then there should be a really big dent in the dull. Maybe it was their experimental super shot gun or something.

The stuff was on Fox News, BBC, and others if you google “Philippines” and click on news. Clearly CNN is purposefully avoiding the issue.

Philippines declaring war on Taiwan? Sure if they want those 1000 or so missiles aimed at Taiwan in China suddenly finding their way to Manila…

I doubt Philippines will declare war on Taiwan with its naval force of 2 ex-USCG cutters and ZERO frigates, destroyers, submarines. Its air force consist of tens of Italian trainer light attack aircrafts and WWII era PROPELLER Fighters. No match for Taiwan’s 22 modern missile destroyer/frigates or its fleet of F-16s, IDF, and Mirage 2000.

Hell, Taiwan could probably send just a couple of its Kidd or Perry Class destroyer/frigate and take on the entire Filipino Navy. Just a few years ago they were asking Taiwan to
donate the aging and hard to maintain F-5E Tiger II to them free of charge.

Which I kinda doubt they would now… without enduring a LOT of public anger.

Someone mentioned something similar has happened before? How was it resolved then?

I think the philis apologized and that was that.

I dont think TW wants a scrap with the PHilis. They want the one that ordered the shooting arrested and hung out to dry. Some money paid to the fishermans family and an apology.

But more importantly TW wants a fisheries agreement with the PHil to avoid future conflicts

Meantime, China is sending over a fleet of fishing vessels to the same area in order to goad the phil gunboats out to play.

The banning of further Phil workers is likely to have very little effect:
taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2219816

The TW Pres office has asked Twnese not to attack the some 87000 Phil workers in Taiwan.

The Phil will try to sweep everything under the table as soon as possible. They dont really care if TW bans further Phil workers as there are only 87000 out of TEN MILLION Phil Overseas workers in TW.

So whats gonna happen when this mini fleet comes across some Phil gunboats ? Are they going to warn them off ? Shoot firehoses at them or simply open fire with a cannon , with or without a warning shot ?

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2219590

According to the Taipei Times, there hasn’t been a resolution.

Here are links to a couple of stories about it from 2006:

“Fisherman killed, brother shot in Bashi pirate attack,” Taipei Times, January 17 2006:

“Philippine police attacked fishermen,” Taipei Times, January 18, 2006

According to the Taipei Times, there hasn’t been a resolution.

Here are links to a couple of stories about it from 2006:

“Fisherman killed, brother shot in Bashi pirate attack,” Taipei Times, January 17 2006:

“Philippine police attacked fishermen,” Taipei Times, January 18, 2006[/quote]

and its exactly this that makes the Phil govt say “meh, it will soon all blow away”
and reserve the right to shoot up some more fishermen in the future.

We were hacked! We were hacked!

Our stuff was deemed important enough to be hacked!!! We got recognition, I could cry…

(please read above statement with a lot of sarcasm).

[quote=“Icon”]We were hacked! We were hacked!

Our stuff was deemed important enough to be hacked!!! We got recognition, I could cry…

(please read above statement with a lot of sarcasm).[/quote]

You are indeed very important Icon.

Off topic, every time I see a Latina on board the MRT to Xindian I always wonder if she is Icon from Forumosa…

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”][quote=“Maxxis”]Ramming the PCG boat my ass. Who in their right mind ram a 15ton Fiber Reinforced Plastic fishing boat into a 90ton steel PCG boat?

Bravado? Oh Please, don’t mix Taiwanese fishermen with the trigger happy US Military or Filipino coast guard.[/quote]

Not to mention that boat looks pretty good from having supposedly rammed the coast guard boat. Normally the whole bow section would have been totaled. If Philippines insist that their boat was rammed why not produce evidence? If that boat was made of concrete/steel (and who in the right mind would make a fishing boat that way?) then there should be a really big dent in the dull. Maybe it was their experimental super shot gun or something.

The stuff was on Fox News, BBC, and others if you google “Philippines” and click on news. Clearly CNN is purposefully avoiding the issue.

Philippines declaring war on Taiwan? Sure if they want those 1000 or so missiles aimed at Taiwan in China suddenly finding their way to Manila…[/quote]

“ramming” does not necessarily imply that there was a hit, just that there would have been a collision (because they were on collision course) if they were not stopped. hence the story from the Philippines. But the location of the bullet holes in the vessel looks like a side by side attack (bullet holes inspected by Taiwan coast guard were all midships, judging from photos in newspapers China Post, etc).

Piracy dressed up as border protection, most likely. But the taiwanese are quite capable of acting like stupid dickheads in a boat, I am sure. Much like the way they drive. As I mentioned before, the powers of Whisbee (or kaoliang) and binlang are far mightier than the brain of a sane man.