TW Government agency asked me to falsify an end user declaration

Probably better to not get the job than being prosecuted later on if the tech ends up in Chinese hands…

The OP didn’t say it was going to china, in fact he rebuffs that idea in a reply to the poster who mentioned it.

1 Like

If there was no risk of a blowback then he should have just complied anyways.

But the Taiwan government is also full of Chinese spies too.

I had a client want to hire me on a consultancy basis. Before I got on a flight to go visit them I had them wire me the funds for airfares and 5 days of consultancy feeds in advance. They paid.

You need to be aware that Taiwan government employees cannot just visit China without approval. Politics

Does this extend to retired military officers?

If a TW government agency is paying for the equipment and intends to be the end user, then they should be declared to be the end user. Why all the cloak and dagger stuff anyway? They have their own purchasing department, they have the money and they can contact the Western supplier on their own two feet. If the Western supplier won’t supply the equipment to them then perhaps they shouldn’t be trying to circumvent it?

Because of the nature of bureaucracies. Sometimes the end user declaration may end up missing the proviso. Worst case scenario: I will bear the consequences of making a false declaration.

Not a different use, but a different user than the one being stated. And yes, everyone knew this but I was asked to sign an untrue declaration.

Knowingly signing false documents is not in my playbook.

1 Like

Leave with your head high knowing you’ve done the right thing? Ive tried to mess with government things that were not military and I certainly had lawyers after me for defamation and reminders that I could be heavily fined or go to jail for telling others about it. I knew I wouldn’t be going to jail, and I could have brought the lawsuit threat to international media and really made those people be screwed over. It’s likely id have made quite a few members of US Congress seek to end funding for that particular program (none of them would have been getting kickbacks from it), but what would i have actually accomplished? My own name through the mud, for the most part. Some temporary self satisfaction that I “did the right thing”.

In your case, even posting on here could turn out to be problematic if they know who you are. If you’re really concerned about morality issues or equipment ending up in the wrong hands, you could notify the manufacturer of the situation, but you portably dont want to hit the send button on any emails until you’re out of Taiwan. Many people at the top of the pecking order here are connected to people that have no moral qualms about screwing up peoples lives. If they wanted you to sign yourself off as the end user, they wont have any problem doing other shady things.

Sometimes I wonder if the head of the MOTC is a Chinese spy who’s trying to kill Taiwanese people, one traffic accident at a time.

4 Likes

Dang, school teachers in the spying game. Who would have known?

Probably made in Taiwan or China anyway unless it’s Samsung or Sony.

I don’t know as traffic here has been shit for who knows how long, you can’t lay the blame on any one head of the motc.

But I have to wonder if the people at top just don’t see Taiwan as home so don’t care about screwing things up.

No idea I’ve never been one. I was banned to traveling to any communist country for five years when I left my last government employer in Australia. When I was asked in China about why I never moved to China I simply replied I moved to the closest non communist part of China I could get to.

Well my dad is planning on going to china so clearly the ban doesn’t extend to him… But he said due to his rank the communist will likely keep an eye on him if he goes there.

Many taiwanese government workers are waishenren and they want to see what became of their family in china.

Sounds best. Enjoy the stay. Write a blog post about it.

Yup, totally agree. Do not fuck around with these guys. And especially do not threaten to blow the whistle. You’ll be swimming with the fishes by the end of the week.

You mean sleeping with the fishes?

Swimming first then sleeping.

1 Like

and setting many a honey trap

lolz