TW mother having baby in TW, father is US citizen - AIT help

You are right! :oops:

And I am also wrong that AIT would use Chungwha Post :oops:

Visas and/or passports will be returned to visa applicants through our courier service.

https://web-archive-2017.ait.org.tw/en/nonimmigrant-visas/-arrange-for-passport-delivery-for-approved-applicants.html

It’s a goof, but it’s not a calling-Hu-Jintao-the-president-of-the-ROC level goof. :wink:

UPDATE JULY 2, 2018

Hope this will help whoever had interest in this topic.

• Both parents are US Citizens
  • I was in Taiwan for the birth but not long enough for the AIT interview
  • I had to fill out form DS-3053. I got it notarized at AIT, since I was there, for no charge!
  • Scheduled an appointment about a month ahead of time (we just wanted to choose a later date due to our son being at the yue zi center. They had openings one week in the future).
  • Wife went with the child to the appointment
  • According to her, since both parents are US citizens, they just wanted proof that we were living in the US (see “Note” below).
  • She was out of there in 1 hour

Note: We were going off the instructions on the AIT website, specifically this page, https://www.ait.org.tw/u-s-citizen-services/birth/required-documents/, and one of the items is the “Requirements Checklist”. The checklist has a misleading note about proof of residency, which states “The U.S. citizen parent must bring proof he/she was present in the United States for 5 years before the child’s birth.”

I had prepared a ton of documents for the past 5 years, ranging from tax returns, tax documents, to utility bills and pay stubs. My wife said the document pre-check person looked at some things, not sure to what extent, but interviewer didn’t even look at them at all. Your mileage may vary here, but my recommendation is if only one parent can go, and they are a US citizen, don’t worry so much as 1 year of documents is probably enough. If that parent is not a US citizen, be prepared with 5 years worth.

1 Like

@rburlette hello! we are in the same situation as yours! I am US citizen and married to TW citizen in Kaohsiung.
We are in the process of assembling CR1/spouse visa now. Have you or your wife received the CR1 visa yet?