TW websites

Here’s a rant.

why-oh-why are so many of the TW websites screwed? Even putting the language issue aside (yes I’d be happy to get translation) but they are FULL of broken links, out of date info, wrong info and links that point to the wrong place.

GRRRRRR.

Like just now. I use the CKS airport site a bit to check on flight info before I drive out there to pick people up. I used to use it all the time - You go to try find that info now.

Here’s a hint to the TW webmasters : Make sure your new site is running bettter than 10% before you ditch the old one.

Rant over. Thank you for your time.

Hey! There’s text there, there’s pictures there – sometimes. Cha bu duo. What else do you expect? Why should Taiwan websites be any better than anything else in Taiwan? It just doesn’t make sense. :wink:

And their obsession with Flash. I hate Flash. Most important rule in web design: Let the user get to the info with no waiting or guessing.

yes. Huge flash intro with no skip button and then shit after that.

this unfortunatelly sums up 80%* of the internet.

*yes, i made that statistic up - but we all know that 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

this unfortunatelly sums up 80%* of the internet.

*yes, I made that statistic up - but we all know that 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
[/quote]

Including that one. :laughing:

But they do like the pastels…and soft fluffy things…and pastel colors… :loco:

yes. Huge flash intro with no skip button and then shit after that.[/quote]

You both don’t… oh but you do, my bad …

Way to go truant. And why are those webpages always so overloaded. They distract from the really useful info with all sorts of flashing and moving images, that you can’t find shit on those pages, even to most basic things like the location of a store that they are advertising for. GGGRRRRRR!!!

this could be a good rant topic…

I like to go to the movies, and there is one close to where I live.

The multiplex makes flyers up which are available at the mall, and they are a one-page bilingual things, really easy to use, even for me.

So, for a while there they were putting that online in pdf, GREAT!! I don’t even need to leave the house to find out what is showing.

Then obviously, that website was just too damn useful and generating too much income, so they changed the schdedule to a non pdf version, and just in chinese. Never mind, with a bit of babelfish I could sometimes work out what is on, but the times were clear enough.

Latest incarnation: Forget about having the session times on there, WTF? Just put on a synopsis of the movie in chinese. Yeah much better, almost completely useless now.
Next step. A website consisting of just a flash intro screen, all in chinese, with an incorrect phone number - mission accomplished.

[quote=“Truant”]this could be a good rant topic…

I like to go to the movies, and there is one close to where I live…

[/quote]

That reminds me of a movie theatre back in Milwaukee. It had a really large screen, and for some special movies, I liked to go there. This place was located a little outside town, and the drive was 20-25 minutes. So I would check the webpage, arrive there on time for the show I selected, and they told me the show already started, or a different movie was on that screen. GGGRRRRR. That happened twice, so I finally decided to call each time before I go. At least their number was correct. So those things don’t only happen in TW, but here it seems worse.

EDIT:
Maybe, in the TW case, it has something to do with loosing face. Better no information than wrong information. Or was it better wrong information that none? I always get confused.

I was doing some research on historic sites around Anping. I found much of the information on the government websites to be fairly inscrutible. It’s a pity.

Try IE if the site appears broken. Many of them don’t work in any browser except IE. I just keep forgetting :blush:

Nnngggg I rant about this on a daily basis. Sure, it’s an internet-wide problem but Taiwan (and, I might add, the PRC) is notable for consistently poor web design.

The source of the problem as I see it is that 99% of Taiwanese websites are being thrown together by university graduates originally employed to do something else and being told how to build the things by some fat sweaty middle manager who Knows Best.

These kids have been taught in their computing/design/industrial-whatever courses to squeeze as much crap into a page as humanly possible. Java, Flash, embedded audio, animated GIFs, you go for the burn, kid! Aforementiond boss will then decide it’s time for a change every month so that actual users of the site are kept on their toes on the offchance that they happened to find something useful last time.

[quote=“Truant”]Here’s a rant.

why-oh-why are so many of the TW websites screwed? Even putting the language issue aside (yes I’d be happy to get translation) but they are FULL of broken links, out of date info, wrong info and links that point to the wrong place. [/quote]